Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking to a restoration guy who restores cars for a living in my area and he is recommending that I use DP to seal the trunk, floors, and all the other "nooks & crannies" on my 65 convertible.

He showed DP sprayed on the cars that he is restoring (he swears by it and uses it on all his restorations) and it looks pretty good. It has a semi-gloss black apprearance. I guess he then primes over the DP and paints.

How well does DP work in sealing / rust prevention? Is it as good as POR-15? I was planning on utilizing POR-15 on my convertible, however now I am considering utilizing DP instead since it can easily be sprayed on.

Anyone have experience with "DP"? Any thoughts?? Suggestions?

Thanks all

Eric

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
DP is an epoxy primer made by PPG. Comes in black, grey, red oxide, or now a new tintable. Comes in two parts, mix it 2 parts paint to 1 part catalyst.
Great stuff! I agree 100% with your restorer friend...

You can get PPG product info by Fax by calling 800-450-2654

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I am willing to bet he isn't using DP directly on rust as you would POR 15. It all depends on your situation, POR doesn't like smooth clean metal and DP requires smooth clean metal. I would use DP on bright shiny new panels and the POR on rust as that is what it is designed for.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I agree With Ray. Go with POR or Corroless from Eastwood (easier to use, and clean up) on areas that have rust, may rust/get wet (cowls, floors, trunk pan, Trans tunnel. It may be finish coated, but those panels should be clean, clean, clean anyway, and DP-40, or -90 is great on those parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe POR-15 and Eastwood Corrolless will neutralize and make rust inert and seal/stop it from growing. DP wont do this to rust but is a fantastic epoxy primer/sealer. I used it everywhere. In places with rust I use lots of Corrolles and then sealed with DP90. DP90 is the best primer/sealer I have used. You can see it sprayed on the interior of my project below.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well Dp from ppg should be used when "restoring" a car.....

if your stang is a daily driver and you see rust Por15 is the answer to stop rust until you can get to it.

Why restore a car and leave rust?!?!?!

when sheet metal is replaced and rust is all gone, DP epoxy resin primer is the way to go......it is also good to lay a chromate based coating before you Dp primer the trunk areas and torque boxes...

I would sandblast and leave a rough surface under the seat humps and spray por15 on them as well as the torque boxes.....so that recurring rust doesn't happen, for all other panels, Dp is sufficient.

PPG makes good stuff....DP is the sealer and K36 K200 are the blocking primers....

good luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts