Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a 'beginer' question.

Last night I was cleaning up the engine compartment and I noticed a disconected wire plug over by the brake fluid res, attached to the driver side fender apron. There is this 2"x3" brake fluid valve type thing with metal lines running to what appears to be the front and rear brakes. ANYWAY... what does electricity have to do with the manual brakes? And why is this plug un-plugged? I have not noticed any problem with my brake system. I haven't plugged it back in yet, I wanted to know what it is first.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I believe the wire is only for the warning light when something fails in the brake system like the loss of fluid.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I believe you are speaking of the brake warning sending unit. This is the switch that turns on the brake warning light on your dash. You can check if it is working by turning on the key and looking to see if it lights up. If it does not, then plug the wires back in and check it again. It should work. This just warns of loss of hydraulic pressure in your brake system. Unfortunately it is a "dummy light" that only tells of a problem when it may be too late.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. that clears it up for me.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If you plug it back up and the "Brake" light burns, the diverter valve has shifted indicating a loss of pressure from either the front or back brake circuit at one time.

When the diverter valve shifts, the dash light comes on and the defective braking circuit is closed off, all the pressure is routed to the circuit that is functional, either the front or rear.

To have full braking power, the diverter valve MUST be centered.

The factory service manual has detailed instructions on how to re-center the diverter valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts