Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everything that I have bought the past few months has arrived damaged in shipping.

Its not the packaging.

A monte carlo bar and battery apron showed up bent this month.

I ordered a $300 flagpole. The packaging was excellent, except the end of the pole was sticking out of the box, damaged and all the hardware was gone.

Its aggravating.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Registered
375 Posts
Overwhelmed system, the shippers are all working beyond their capabilities which results in lots of new hire employees that are hard to find and have poor work ethic, not enough vehicles, too small of facilities, etc. The end result is people just trying to do as much as they can with what they have to work with and unfortunately the end customer suffers with slow shipping, damages, loss and so on. Sadly there is no time for quality first anymore. It's a no win for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
691 Posts
Got a box from CJPP and it had a huge hole in it suprised I didn’t lose my bumper brackets!

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
As previously mentioned I am a part-time rural mail carrier for USPS. I am absolutely amazed at how cheaply Amazon packages the items they sell. They use no internal filler paper, styrofoam or air bags whatsoever. When they close the box they start the tape about 2" on one end flap, cover the gap between the 2 top flaps and end the tape about 2" on the other end flap. They do not wrap the tape all the way around the box. I cannot count the number of Amazons I handle where the tape has come unstuck and the box is open. We have some tape at USPS that says "Received in Damaged Condition" and I use a lot of that so that the recipient knows that Amazon is responsible for the open box.
Yes, we are overwhelmed with packages. Maybe people will never shop at stores again and we will become a nation of online shopping. I wish Amazon would deliver their packages themselves. I have heard that they cannot keep employees due to their labor practices so they continue to use USPS and UPS. FedEx told Amazon to put it where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I wish Amazon would deliver their packages themselves.
Be careful what you wish for. Amazon is in the process of doing just that. Delivery stations to service vans are being built all around the country. When fully up and running, that is about $6 billion dollars a year they will NOT be spending with USPS or UPS.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful what you wish for. Amazon is in the process of doing just that. Delivery stations to service vans are being built all around the country. When fully up and running, that is about $6 billion dollars a year they will NOT be spending with USPS or UPS.
The USPS is losing money on this deal so au revoir Amazon, au revoir.

Reactions: awhtx

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
The USPS is losing money on this deal so au revoir Amazon, au revoir.
I have heard that USPS charges Amazon somewhere around $1.50 to deliver each package. Yes, you read that correctly- $1.50. Why is Amazon making billions while USPS is losing millions?
And Amazon will NEVER deliver their own packages in the rural area where I live. The population density doesn't support them doing it themselves. They'd lose money.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
691 Posts
Agreed by me in New York the only person who delivers my amazon packages are the big Blue “prime” Vans.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here, I see USPS delivering 7 days a week. Not only is that overtime in most cases, it also increases the pension liability.

Before Amazon, I remember talk that mail delivery should go from 6 days a week to 4 or 5 days a week.

Nearly everything I get in the mailbox is junk mail.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Here, I see USPS delivering 7 days a week. Not only is that overtime in most cases, it also increases the pension liability.

Before Amazon, I remember talk that mail delivery should go from 6 days a week to 4 or 5 days a week.

Nearly everything I get in the mailbox is junk mail.
I've always thought that mail delivery should be once a week on trash day. You could sort your mail, throw away the junk as you drug in the trash cans. In my case 90% of the mail would never make it into the house.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I get the best delivery service from USPS.
No complaints. USPS is awesome.

Fedex totally sucks.
They cant seem to find my house for some reason.
My packages always get delivered to a house two blocks away. Right number but wrong street. They literally drive past my house to get there. I’ve called to complain every time it happens. Nothing gets fixed.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
The USPS system is F'D up in Detroit. I bought an item from ebay. It shipped from Florida on June 2nd. It is still stuck in Detroit and it is June 28. That is 26 days and counting. This is NOT acceptable USPS. Get your [email protected] together.
I send stuff UPS and it gets to the destination ASAP. Often it is earlier than expected.

·
Registered
502 Posts
They all suck, some more than others. From my experience the people we see are good, it's management or lack thereof that sucks.
I constantly get calls from UPS and FedEx asking me to 'give them another try'. I stopped shipping with both because I have business accounts but get charged residential rates.
FedEx delivers to business M-F, home Tuesday-Sat. I get charged Tues-Sat rates but I get deliveries Mon-Fri.
UPS goes a step further in that they charge me residential rates for incoming packages + 'extended area' + a 'fuel surcharge'. Here's their explanation: They use the USPS database and USPS says I am a residence and if I don't like it I can have USPS change it. Went to USPS, they say I'm not in the database because like most folks here I have a PO box. They put my address in as a 'non-deliverable' business but UPS says I am a residence. FedEx uses the same excuse for charging me non business rates, butt since I have a business account I get deliveries M-F. WTF? UPS fuel surcharge is because fuel prices are so high. This started back around 2008 when gas topped $2.25 a gallon. It didn't go away when fuel prices bottomed out a few months ago. UPS is the king of hidden fees that keep the quoted price competitive. When I complained that the quoted price that I charged my customer is much lower than the actual price I pay 4-6 weeks later (they delay monthly billing) they told me that the quoted price is only an estimate and that I should add 15-20% to the quote when I charge the customer. I don't use UPS anymore unless it is charged to the receiver on their account.

Domestic USPS is pretty decent. Lately they have had a lot of delays, but that's understandable given the present circumstances. What is NOT acceptable is the don't give a crap attitude of the Chicago hub and their DC masters. All of my international packages have to go through Chicago. Many of them never leave. Tracking stops after 120 days but you can pay extra ONCE to extend the tracking. USPS WILL NOT honor their insurance because all they have to do is say it was delivered and insto-presto it was stolen, check with your neighbors or call a cop. I now use 3rd party insurance on my USPS packages, but that doesn't cover the $25-35 postal shipping charge, only the value of the contents.
I have a letter from a DC uppity-up granting me a 'one time dispensation' on the only and last insurance claim I made with USPS. It was for a tachometer that was never delivered. They say it was because the tracking says it was. I had shipped it with 'signature required' and they couldn't produce the signature. After many emails and phone calls I wrote to my congressman and asked him if he thought I should do like USPS says and just 'let it go, it was just an old car part'.
Two weeks later I received a rather terse letter and a check for $200 from USPS.
Yessir, the USPS has quite the racket - they could never survive as a real company.
I guess when you're the only game in town you just don't give a crap.

As of right now I have three packages somewhere in Chicago - one has been there since May 1st. Tracking is about to stop, USPS says it must have been delivered without a destination scan. They won't tell me how it departed Chicago without a departed Chicago scan.
Luckily the 3rd party insurance comes through every time and I only have to eat the shipping charges. I am seriously considering not shipping to non USA addresses.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
What I can't stand is this FedEx "Smartpost" that Amazon uses. The package leaves Amazon via FedEx and makes it as far as my local post office. The post office people then put a note in my wife's PO Box, that I NEVER use, for the package to be picked up. Our street address is on the shipping label, but for some reason the fools at the post office want to use the PO Box. The local post office closes at 4:30pm, and my wife and I get off work at 5:00pm, so that doesn't work. So it's take time off work (my personal leave time), drive into town, pick up the package, go back to work, then home at the end of the day. I paid for the package to be delivered at home, and not for me to drive around to go get it. Yes, I live in rural AZ, but all my other mail, UPS, and USPS packages get delivered to our home.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I wish Amazon would deliver their packages themselves. I have heard that they cannot keep employees due to their labor practices so they continue to use USPS and UPS. FedEx told Amazon to put it where the sun don't shine.
In most metro areas they do control the delivery or much of it. It’s largely the rural routes where they rely on the Post Office or UPS. The last set of jack stands I got from Amazon came UPS. Nearly everything we’ve gotten from Amazon in the last several months has come on an Amazon truck. Overall more than half of the total Amazon deliveries are handled by Amazon directly. If you’re near a DC (which is most big cities) it’s nearly all delivered by Amazon. Amazon is about to pass FedEx in terms of unique packages carried. In the next year or so at this rate they’ll pass UPS. They are doing to cargo what Walmart did to retail supply chains in the 90s.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Note that Amazon may lease those airplanes but they do not operate them. Just like everything else at Amazon a subcontractor operates them under a contract.
Amazon Air tells them when to do it, how to do it and what to do. Just like they do at the contract DCs and Flex delivery. Legally they‘re contractors but Amazon controls everything they do.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Amazon Air tells them when to do it, how to do it and what to do.
Not really. Atlas Air Cargo (or something similar) is the name of the company on the FAA Part 121 Operating Certificate. The FAA couldn't care less what it says on the side of the airplane. The FAA tells Atlas Air Cargo what they can and can't do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts