Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not really. Atlas Air Cargo (or something similar) is the name of the company on the FAA Part 121 Operating Certificate. The FAA couldn't care less what it says on the side of the airplane. The FAA tells Atlas Air Cargo what they can and can't do.
The contractor relationship been covered quite a bit in the tech and aviation press over the last year or two. The method isn’t unique to Amazon (other freight companies do the same thing) but the speed and scale in which they are building out the network is. The contractors are licensed to operate the planes but in terms of logistics they don’t operate independently of Amazon. The only impact the carrier has is to how it relates to safety once loaded into the aircraft or in route. The terms of destinations, the frequency, daily scheduling, what cargo to take, how much fuel consumption is optimum and how to deal with logistics operations and details are handled on the Amazon end. It’s also different from traditional charter in that Amazon pays the direct cost of operating the flights and maintaining the planes. The contractors are basically labor and licensing.

·
Premium Member
6,890 Posts
I ship 5 - 10 packages a day, USPS and FedEx. 2 Damaged in 1+ years. No issues on delivery times.

Legal Disclaimer: I normally do not check tracking numbers after it leaves (too much time to do so) but in my ebay reviews, I get a lot of Rapid Delivery type comments.

Amazon is buying 8 houses on my street, to rip them out and build a new distribution center. They calculated it was cheaper for them to just build a center next door to me, and throw the packages over the fence, based on all the stuff my wife buys from them. o_O

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My issues have been with larger items. Small stuff is usually ok. The 67 battery apron I just bought was bent to hell, but the welder is only using part of it so he was able to salvage what he needed.

IDK what happened on my flagpole. The vendor sells a bunch of these, so you would think the packaging is sound. Hoping to have Old Glory waving by the 4th.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Amazon Air tells them when to do it, how to do it and what to do.
The terms of destinations, the frequency, daily scheduling, what cargo to take, how much fuel consumption is optimum and how to deal with logistics operations and details are handled on the Amazon end. It’s also different from traditional charter in that Amazon pays the direct cost of operating the flights and maintaining the planes. The contractors are basically labor and licensing.
OK, Amazon knows the rules for Part 121 carriers. Your original post made it sound like Amazon would tell Atlas Air that "we need this plane load of packages in Chicago tonight or else". Well the FAA says that if ORD is reporting Zero/Zero conditions with Blowing Snow and Braking Action Nil, Atlas Air is not going to Chicago.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,354 Posts
Darn stupid work. All hard and stuff.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts