Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 70 Mach1 with a 428 cobra jet engine. All original, standart trans, drum brakes,no power steering. Candy apple red with white interior. The exterior is mint but interior needs restoration. Motor is stron and clean.
Only problem have to sell my 66 GT fatback if i buy this 70 Mach1.
Like to know what the Mach1 is worth

Thanks

·
Registered
10,063 Posts
Big block Mustangs are worth more. Before I spent any money, I'd get a Marti report on it, so you know it is what the owner says it is.
I often wonder about those nice exterior (is the paint new?) car that have a trashed interior.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A Marti report would be a very good idea. I'd be a little suspicious of a 428 being the original engine if it's got drum brakes! Mark

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
It is not that unusual to find a big block car with drum brakes. Drag racers quite often removed the discs to put on drums because they offer less drag resistance.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Really depends upon the rust issues. Assuming it's not rusty and looks (on the outside) and drives good, it could be worth around $25,000. Interiors are more expensive to do on the '69 and '70s, but as long as everything is there, a worn interior doesn't devalue the car that much. If the dash is cut and lots of pieces are missing or totally thrashed (seat belts, console, dash trim, etc), it may be worth closer to $20,000--again assuming no rust. For a car of this potential value, as others have said, get a quickie Marti report (it's only like $17 and comes by fax in a day) AND pay the money to have the car appraised by a vintage Mustang appraiser BEFORE you get serious about buying it. If the seller won't agreee to having it appraised, walk away. Not to offend anyone, just my opinion, it's no contest to me the '70 CJ vs. a '66 fastback--sell the '66!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts