Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 mustang 289 suto wt PS, my engine needs to be replaced and I have a 1979 351 Windsor,Is this engine too wide? Can my original exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes hook up? Can I block off some Tube emmisions thing running at the back of the heads?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I believe your exhaust manifolds for the 289 will not work as the block deck is higher than the 289 - your exhaust head pipes may hit the floor pans.
This is a good excuse to buy the 351 in a '65 swap headers, I think Hooker makes them but you might try JBA as well. With power steering, you may have to buy the drop bracket. At least this was required when headers were installed on 289s with p/s in a '65/'66 Mustang.
You might find hood clearance may be an issue so you may have to get an aircleaner with a drop base and a short filter.

You can get the plugs for blocking of the air injection ports in your head. Ford has them for sure and maybe some machine shops.

You will have to determine how to get the belts, pulleys, and brackets all configured to work on a 351. The 289 alternator brackets won't work.

I have a '65 FB with a 351 but it has a Mustang II front suspension and a custom made cowl induction hood for clearance.

Regards,

Dean T

·
7,025 Posts
Your original 289 headers aren't even adaquate for your 289. You don't want to use them with the 351. The swap headers would definitely work...but stock 351 headers might be a possibility.

If I were you, I wouldn't just swap that 351 in as-is. I don't have the spec book in front of me for a '79 351...But I know the 302 in the mustang that year was just rated at 139 horsepower. The 351 M was rated at about 150 HP.

It would make a great start for an engine build up...but if you drop it right in your going to add weight and subtract power. Not the best thing.

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts