Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a Mustang owner comes new to your State and asked you where to take his or her Mustang for a full restoration what place or places will you recommend and why? I have seen many posts in this forum asking this question. Let's see how many replies this one gets.Thanks to all who participate,

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am relatively new to the hobby and I am not familiar with everyone in the state (Tennessee), but Mark Stacey at Stacey's Concours does excellent work.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if this is allowed in the forum but if you can put phone numbers and websites(if available) of your recommendations it will be of great help to all looking for one in your City/State.

·
Administrator
19,493 Posts
There's no one I would recommend in Arizona. That doesn't mean that there isn't a good shop here. I don't use those services and would be uncomfortable recommending a place that I wasn't personally familiar with. Same goes for paint and body shops. What I might find to be good work, might be less than desirable to someone else. Or I might have had the benefit of someone who did good work, and the next person gets the employee who's been wearing a leaky mask for too long. So, no recommendations from me for paint or bodywork.

On the other hand, I can recommend some good mechanics in Tucson with whom I have had long experience and know that their work is top notch.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In Southern California I would lead them to me and I would help THEM do the work free of charge until it starts being me doing all the work and they watch. I like to help teach people how to do things on their own car. It makes it feel a lot better when the car is finsihed and they know that they put the bolts in place, painted it, redid the interior, etc. I don't trust any shops with my car, one thing gets fixed and 3 things get broken is the way it works with me. Four years ago I had a shop rebuild my tranny and I got the car back with about a spot the size of a quarter of paint missing the passenger side quarter. I didn't see it until I got home and they said that when I drove away I accepted the condition the vehicle was in. Never again! ::

·
Registered
172 Posts
Larry at SLS Auto in Villa Park, Illinois has done work on my 1966 Fastback. All the work was excellent and when it comes to something technical about classic Stangs, I only ask Larry. Great shop.
Matt in Illinois

·
Registered
66 Posts
Haven't found any good ones in New Mexico anymore. There was one that was decent, but he didnt have enough business so closed down. if anyone knows of some here i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I agree with the do it yourself people. Nothing like hard work and sweat to make you appreciate what you have PLUS you know exactly whats is in your Mustang. Makes it easier to fix the next time you need to and if you have high standards, then most likely you won't need to.. Fix Or Repair Daily heheh ::

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Roane Classic Mustang in Midtown. Just West of Knoxville

·
7,010 Posts
http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC25000.JPG

I highly recommend David & Andy's Tail Light Service in Southern Indiana. If you can get them away from the X-Box, they do excellent work, and they DON'T know the value of a dollar...i.e. after working them hard for 3-hours, you can give them a buck and they think that's a lot of money. ::

Phil

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The absolute best restoration shop anywhere is your own shop/garage! ! You are the only person that will REALLY care how your car will turn out . Professonals know all the little tricks of hiding screw-ups and other time (money) consuming things on your car .Unless you have tons of money to pour into someone elses pocket --

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I agree with the do it yourself idea. If something is too hard or overwhelming, you can always come to the VMF for help. Other than that, your friends and neighbors should be able to recommend someone in your area. In my small neighborhood, I know of at least 7 car enthusiast. Two other mustang owners on my street, a couple of rodders in the tract, and a fabricator, engine builder, welder, guy around the corner who can do it all.

What a great neighborhood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts