Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quality, Customer Service, and Price: 3 main factors.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
For what kind of parts.
Mechanical
Body
INterior

After market
Concourse

All of these are a factor and each catgory prob has a vendro in it that is a star at taht one thing

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets try the Mechanical first. I want to get her running before prettying her up.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It would be much easier if you listed what you were intending to buy, then we could suggest places you might get it. Even just "mechanical" is pretty vague. If you're looking for Performance engine parts, I say Summit or Jegs. If you looking for performance suspension parts I'd say "Street or Track" or Mustangs Plus. If your talking stock replacement parts, I'd say NAPA or Autozone.

See my point? ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cowl pans and hats. A mig to do it all and some bits/spot weld driller to take 'er out... Specific enough? ::

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have used NPD in the past and have had great service and if there has been a problem they correct it quickly with no hassles. I also just used Matt at PONDEROSA Mustang his number is on the Vintage-Mustang start page. He contributes to Bob on this site and good prices (win-win) and very personable to deal with. Good Luck!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I second JohnPro's response. There are different places that are more "specialized" in a product line.

I simply searched the web and watched the forums to find parts suppliers. I ordered their catalogs spent time comparing prices, and making notes. Watch the forums and see who gets kudos and who gets rants.

If you are looking for a particular part, post it here and I am certain there's a VMF'r that can send you a good recommendation that fits your criteria.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I Re-read your post, and thought of this too....

If it's "overall" you are looking for, then your local Mustang shop might be of consideration (if you have one). Nothing beats being able to walk in, pick up the part, touch it, compare it, talk about it, and walk out with it there and then. More importantly, you can build a relationship with them and walk away with a lot more than a Mustang part!

Just my $.00002

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have pretty high standards for all three of the factors you meantioned, the answer at least in my opinion is "it all depends", . My Autozone down the street has the most knowlegable guys in cars I ever met, Brian and Jeff are awsome, 67th and Peoria if anyone local wants to know. Unfortionalty, I feel some of the parts they carry are of lessor quality than say NAPA stuff, :( so I get my critical stuff from NAPA, ie; starters, etc, however the guys at NAPA are arrogant and dont know %^$T. But then again, Autozone carries a lifetime warrenty for most of thier parts now. :: Autozone is open 24 hours, and NAPA closes at 5:30Pm and closed on Sundays so thier hours suck big time too. I get all my non-mechanical stuff from NPD, and they always are very helpfull and great to deal with, pretty good prices also, only thing I have to wait a couple/three days for my stuff, I could go take a 20 minute drive to my local Mustang shop but they charge 3 times as much as NPD. I have had so many problems with Checker Auto Parts here, I dont even consider them anymore for anything. So there you have it, Pro's and Cons with all places I guess, maybe someday a new parts chain will open up with the best of all worlds! ;)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My favorites are
1) NPD - Customer service 10
Price 9
Quality 9
2) Virginia Classic Mustang
Customer service 10
Price 10
Quality 8

Unless you have very much more helpful Mustang shops where you are at than we do here in the SF East Bay, best to do as little with them as possible. The guys here are usually not very helpful and their prices are much higher than the catalog stores. They also have a tendency to sell you what they have rather than what you need. The merchandise is essentially the same, so getting a hands on look doesn't really make much of a difference.

·
Registered
262 Posts
try matt at pondarosa,if he don,t have it he can tell you who does.once i dealt with matt,thats where i want all my parts to come from if possible.he almost makes if fun to spend money.larry

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have found that some-what local shops have the best prices, quality, and parts available. Probably for the rare option stuff Oklahoma Mustang Parts, and for lower prices than the west coast and possibly the east coast Dallas Mustangs and John's Mustangs in Houston, Texas have been competitive. Both OK and Dallas mustang have good service. As much as possible I buy parts from Jeff Davenport our local NAPA dealer in Marlow, Oklahoma. He always gives us a good deal on the stuff we get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts