Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, starting to put together the components for my 68 Mustang build.

So far:

Street or Track front & rear coilover suspension/axle with watts link & subframe connectors
8.2 Deck Windsor engine & 5 speed Gforce straight cut transmission

Steering setups I know of:

1. TCP Rack & pinion - I hear this one is really nice.
2. Electric power steering - not a huge fan of
3. Unisteer - been around a long time, but it doesn't seem super high quality
4. Power steering box - seems more traditional.

What is everyone's thoughts? Looking for the nicest cleanest setup out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
34,313 Posts
If I didn't go with the factory recirculating ball steering box and, if power steering desired, the Bendix external slave system then I'd substitute EPAS for the Bendix system. If you ask me, R&P is only an option when a drivetrain installation makes it impossible to use the original box.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have a Flaming River quick-turn manual box and I love it. Power steering and R&P are overrated. Just cuz something is more expensive doesn’t mean it’s better.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
In its lifetime under my ownership (25 plus years) my 68 convertible has been through manual, O/E power and now an

EPAS that I built built with the assistance of the “Vue” conversion thread here on VMF, the EPAS unit powers a manual steering Linkage from a Chock rebuilt quick steer box.
The original power steering set up was completely rebuilt rebuilt and was trouble and leak proof Until it was removed for the EPAS and it is staying right where it is.
Some bonuses of the Vue set up is that it has a variable”boost” adjustment, less weight, a bit more available horse power and a big reduction of under hood temperatures attributed to the removal of the constant running of the PS pump.
My recommendation is get modern and go electric.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "best" a dozen people will give a dozen different answers. Power steering of ANY sort kills steering feel, so it can't possibly be objectively "best". Those with power steering R&P conversions(though not manual R&P conversions) often complain of steering radius loss...so that can't possibly be objectively "best" either. By those metrics, a manual rebuilt stock box is going to be best....but, some people don't like heavy parking lot speed steering...so that can't objectively be "best" either. The correct question you should be asking here is "What steering best matches my goals of A,B,C, and D?"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what you mean by "best" a dozen people will give a dozen different answers. Power steering of ANY sort kills steering feel, so it can't possibly be objectively "best". Those with power steering R&P conversions(though not manual R&P conversions) often complain of steering radius loss...so that can't possibly be objectively "best" either. By those metrics, a manual rebuilt stock box is going to be best....but, some people don't like heavy parking lot speed steering...so that can't objectively be "best" either. The correct question you should be asking here is "What steering best matches my goals of A,B,C, and D?"
Ah, I like your post. Smart guy.

I guess we can split this up into two scenarios and go from there, since compromising is different based on an individuals personal preference.

1. What is the absolute BEST track steering setup for road racing specific to race performance?

2. What is the absolute BEST comfort steering setup for driving on the street/parking lots/turning radius?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

I guess we can split this up into two scenarios and go from there, since compromising is different based on an individuals personal preference.

1. What is the absolute BEST track steering setup for road racing specific to race performance?

2. What is the absolute BEST comfort steering setup for driving on the street/parking lots/turning radius?
While I can’t answer #1 since I don’t road race, I will stand by my quick steer manual box for #2. The only difference between my Mustang and my 2013 Toyota RAV4 daily driver is when the vehicle is not moving, the Mustang is obviously harder (not impossible). As soon as you start creeping, the Mustang is zero difference to any power or R&P setup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I can’t answer #1 since I don’t road race, I will stand by my quick steer manual box for #2. The only difference between my Mustang and my 2013 Toyota RAV4 daily driver is when the vehicle is not moving, the Mustang is obviously harder (not impossible). As soon as you start creeping, the Mustang is zero difference to any power or R&P setup.
What is the ratio of the quick steer box? The faster the box, the harder it will be to use at slow speed.

When racing a fast box 10-13:1 is preferred, but from my understanding most manual boxes are around 16:1 or so to keep it easier to turn at slow speed without assist.

I have never raced a car with manual steering, I am curious how different it would be to a car with power steering.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts

Track- Manual steering using an original "quick" box that has been blueprinted
Comfort- Original quick box with Bendix steering. And you can slow the response down with a bigger pulley if you like.

These are about as far apart in the spectrum as you can get.

Notes: Since nobody blueprints these boxes anymore, you'd have to settle for rebuilt.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Track- Manual steering using an original "quick" box that has been blueprinted
Comfort- Original quick box with Bendix steering. And you can slow the response down with a bigger pulley if you like.

These are about as far apart in the spectrum as you can get.

Notes: Since nobody blueprints these boxes anymore, you'd have to settle for rebuilt.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
What is the ratio of a "quick" box?

Does blueprinting make a significant difference in how well the box works? I could imagine if all the clearances are super tight with quality bearings it would require much less effort to turn.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I have never raced a car with manual steering, I am curious how different it would be to a car with power steering.
It'll be a workout for you, particularly with sticky "race" tires.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
What is the ratio of the quick steer box? The faster the box, the harder it will be to use at slow speed.

When racing a fast box 10-13:1 is preferred, but from my understanding most manual boxes are around 16:1 or so to keep it easier to turn at slow speed without assist.

The ratio on my Flaming River box is 16:1.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
What is the ratio of a "quick" box?

Does blueprinting make a significant difference in how well the box works? I could imagine if all the clearances are super tight with quality bearings it would require much less effort to turn.
Quick ratio Mustang boxes are 16:1

What's below doesn't really matter, since nobody does it anymore. (and I'm definitely not doing one for anyone)
Blueprinted- There are no bearings on the sector shaft, the factory rollers are removed and replaced with two bronze
pieces that are honed to fit that particular sector shaft.
On the sector gear itself, that is inspected and either repaired or replaced for ANY wear. The same thing with the worm
block and the worm gear. Larger balls are fitted in the worm block to take up extraneous slack. Bearings supporting the worm
are replaced with new ones. Special lube is used. Pre-load is carefully set. Takes about 2 hours to do one start to finish.
End result is pretty much zero play in the box; tiny movement at the steering wheel corresponds to tiny movement at the pitman arm....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have had my car for 30 years and been through stock Chocko rebuilt, TCP manual rack, and finally TCP power rack chasing my idea of good steering feedback. I used to track my car regularly at HPDE events. The TCP power rig is very nice but At $3k+ all in is just too damn pricey relative to other options available these days. If I were to do it again today- and I assuredly am not- I’d take a hard look at the EPAS. Adjustable Power steering without the weight, HP draw, or hoses in the engine compartment sounds good to me! My 20 y/o son (who doesn’t listen to me... I get it) just went Mike Maier’s power steering kit. He’s very happy with it, although it required an unexpected z-bar kit for his toploader from Opentracker to clear it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hands down, KRC or Turn1. A borgeson unit and quick steer box from ABSBrake in Orange Ca is nice. If you plan to run the car hard, consider slowing down your pump by using a smaller march crank pulley, overdriving your pump will cause you to chase problems, from blown seals, to overheating the fluid....

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Manual 16:1 for track. Man up in the parking lot, always roll before steering if poss. Street, stock ps with underdrive pulleys or epas. Ive had all three and hpde and autocross my car. I have epas now (Vue conversion). Love it! Very clean and simple engine compartment. The size of the steering wheel makes a difference also.

·
Registered
20,342 Posts
I've put fresh grease in my 16:1 box, was PS but removed it. Also installed a Opentracker Racing roller bearing idler arm. My caster is set at 4° positive and my tires are 215/60/15. I'm pleased with my setup and really have no interest in going power anything on the steering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts