Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two 69 Mach 1's and the Windsor automatic, I installed the Borgeson PS box and pump. Regardless of what they say, you will still need to shorten the steering tube but it was a direct bolt-in and works extremely well. I would do the other Mach but it's a 428 CJ 4-speed and there would be a lot of modifications due to Z bar.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
What is the ratio of the quick steer box? The faster the box, the harder it will be to use at slow speed.

When racing a fast box 10-13:1 is preferred, but from my understanding most manual boxes are around 16:1 or so to keep it easier to turn at slow speed without assist.

I have never raced a car with manual steering, I am curious how different it would be to a car with power steering.
when I started into my autoxing adventure I had a 19:1 AKA slow:1 box and a 15" steering wheel. during any giving run I was barely able to keep up with the steering action required to get around a course. Lots of hand over hand ,All *******s & elbows https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*******s and elbows .
Then with the rest of the system staying the same I installed a Shelby quick steer kit. world of difference. The initial input is harder yes ,but the reduced amount of sawing on the steering wheel more than makes up for it

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the EPAS with the tilt column that I did last year. My original '66 was manual steering and even though I miss it, I really like the option to adjust the settings for tight turns in parking lots while "stiffening" it up for road work. The tilt column is a nice touch for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So it almost sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too.

A high quality manual steering box with EPAS will allow you to turn off the assist for racing, and adjust it perfectly up/down for non-track driving.

Any ideas on where someone could get a really high quality manual box with say around a 12-13:1 ratio?

·
Registered
621 Posts
So it almost sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too.

A high quality manual steering box with EPAS will allow you to turn off the assist for racing, and adjust it perfectly up/down for non-track driving.

Any ideas on where someone could get a really high quality manual box with say around a 12-13:1 ratio?
I have a manual TCP rack with EPAS. I love it, but it was pricey. So there’s that.

I don’t think anyone manufactures a steering box with anything quicker than 14:1. Anything quicker would have to be fabricated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a manual TCP rack with EPAS. I love it, but it was pricey. So there’s that.

I don’t think anyone manufactures a steering box with anything quicker than 14:1. Anything quicker would have to be fabricated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does sound like a nice option. Do you know what ratio the manual rack is?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts