Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about the JD2 Notch Master but thought I’d ask you experienced guys before I pull the trigger. I wanna be able to do square tubing as well as round stock (it appears you can do both by the pictures of the Notch Master).

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I bought that one a few years ago. It works as advertised. My only issue was the flying metal chips would get into the shaft/needle bearings snd scored the armature shaft. Still works fine though. just kept an eye from then on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I’ve got a Notchmaster and have used the Baileigh axial vise notcher. I’ve used the Notchmaster for several builds, at least a dozen. For the Notchmaster I got the Swag super shaft and the notch on a bend fixture called “The GOAT”.

I haven’t yet decided if I want/need the Swag reach around attachment.

I think at least the GOAT is a must. The vise isn’t as easy to hold notches on a bend as the axial vise on the Baliegh is. The shaft I got because I broke a few inserts and using an arbor instead of threading on another hole saw is a good time saver. The Notchmaster will indeed do square tubing.

Here’s the Baileigh. I had the chance to sell my Notchmaster and get it but I ended up passing.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A mill. But...
20200104_205805.png

I'm really happy with my JD2 tube bender, if their tube notcher is of the same quality I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Where’s @GypsyR at? He’s usually got two cents to throw in on fab stuff.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question is really what's your budget and how often will you use it?
I already ordered the JD2 Notchmaster but my budget is okay, probably wouldn’t go over 500. And I may only use it a little right now, but if people start requesting me to fab stuff then it could develop into a lot more.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Just to throw this out there, you can also use a plasma cutter and templates. It works really well for a low volume application. A friend had a fab business and received a large contract for ADA compliant railings. The gov't agency wanted a prototype for their dog and pony show, so he had me design them in Solidworks and I printed him out flattened templates of the tube ends with dimensions etc. Worked out really well and saved him a ton of time and money. After approval, he bought the notching tooling for his ironworker and cranked through the production runs. The site below gives you coping templates for the tubing ends.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts