Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dual master cylinder. The last time I bled my dual master cylinder with the drum brakes the brake valve shifted and cut off the side I was bleeding out and the pedal felt tight and would not go down. I finally had to open one of the rear bleeders and one front to get the pedal to push down to move the piston in the M/C. Is there a way to bleed just the front? It seems as if the brake valve is doing it's job if I open the front bleeders and the pedal wont go to the floor. I have just converted to a Granada disc and I have to bleed the front so I would like any help before I start.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I prefer to use a large kitchen knive when I bleed.

Seriously, if you have a dual master cylinder, the front should be seperated from the backs which is the whole point of the dual setup. As long as the rears were not disturbed at all, you should be able to bleed the fronts alone. Start with the pass side and the do the drivers. If the rear need to be bled, Do the right rear first, left rear second.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't bleed if you can't push the pedal down. That's the problem. The differental valve senses a pressure difference when the front bleeders are open thus shifting and blocking off the front port. Then I can't get fluid to the front brakes to bleed them because the pedal is still tight as if I had good brakes. I guess I could take out the brake switch in the block and out have my machinist fabricate a plug with a pin to hold the plunger from shifting until I get finished?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts