Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
They usually came from the factory with an 8", or in some cases 9" depending on engine, options, etc. I believe the 8.8 came on later model Mustang. Does it have a tag on it with the ratio & codes?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
If your car's an A code, the rear is probably a 3.00.

I've got a 3.00 with a 4spd, and it revs pretty high on the freeway at 70 mph. Since you mentioned "no long freeway driving", I would go 3.2 or 3.55.

Frank

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just opened my stock rear end up and found that it has 2.79 gears. They look to be in great shape though.

I would go to 3.55 if you can.

Gib

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Google your favorite gear ratio calculator. You have an automatic so if you can plug in your gear ratio's and combine that with your rear end ratio and tire sizes you can get an idea of the RMP's you can expect at given speeds. I had a 3.70 ratio rear with my top loader 4 speed and it was good in town but bad on the highway, I did not like it. I swapped to a 410 stroker with 3.25 rear gears and am real happy with that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
8" (and 9") carrier bolts in from the front, 8.8" has a bolt on rear cover, gears come out the rear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.