Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just say NO? :thumbdown:
Yawn? :/
Pretty cool... :p
Right on!! :shocked:
Awesome!! :thumbup:

It's the closest I'll ever get to owning one...and I have all the parts....

Maniac!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Right on!!
I think if you are going to do a clone,then make it as close to an original as possible. I really do not like Eleanors or half-baked clones.

At some point, I would like to make a GT350 clone out of my '67 vert. I know that there were no '67 GT350 verts, but there was one GT500!

Anyway, I would make it as authentic as I could afford to. I actually think that this will help maintain the value of the real shelby's. Once these cars disappear from our roadways, they will only be sought after by the hard-core car collectors. Well done clones showing up at cruise-ins and car shows, keeps them in the public eye. Does anyone really think that the cobra clones have hurt the value of a real 427 cobra? I would bet that without the clones, there are few under the age of 40 that would know the history of them.

BTW: No disrespect to the Eleanor followers, Its just not my thing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you are going to do a 67 ,let me know .I had owned a real 67 GT 500 and sold it because i was afraid to drive it.15 years ago I built a 67 GT350,using only real Shelby parts,and drive the snoot out of it.It has been to 4 Shelby conventions and I have a Boss 302 in it with a 5 speed.Gets lots of looks and have a lot of fun with it.
Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the exterior will be pretty close. The interior will have better seats, a console form a 67 Cougar, a carborated 5.0 and I have a Toploader 4 speed but the TKO 5 speed looks really good.... :p

It won't be cut up..except to replace a quarter panel. (Best replacement quarters???) It will look stock. I plan on driving the heck out of this thing!!

Maniac!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Not a big fan of clones...if done to exact Shelby specs then I would give it the :thumbup: but if it is just a Mustang with Shelby stickers and emblems...no thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6t9mach1 said:
Not a big fan of clones...if done to exact Shelby specs then I would give it the :thumbup: but if it is just a Mustang with Shelby stickers and emblems...no thanks.
Shelby hood, Shelby nose, Shelby headlight buckets, Shelby trunk lid and quarter extensions, Shelby side scoops...these parts aren't cheap and are hardley just stickers and emblems... I might go with an LED taillight setup to not cut the taillight panel.

Maniac!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I looked at it like this.I could have 5 Mustangs or one real Shelby.I went with the 5, 67 Mustangs!One is a lot rarer then my Shelby was.A 67 GT 289 Hipo Coupe.May not be worth as much,but a lot rarer.
Greg

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think they are pretty cool myself. I wouldn't mind having one. You could make it pretty much the same minus the vin of course no big deal to me though clone away and save a bundle. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I like them as long as they are tastefully done, and compiment the original. I would like to do one with some mods, but i don't know if I ever will. There's no way I could afford a real one, so I say go for it!

Joe

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
What's NOT to like??

G

·
0 Posts
From my perspective, Shelby clones seem to be a diminishing fad. There are much more creative and unique ways to customize an early Mustang these days. Of course, a lot of these customized cars generally have "Shelby features", but just aren't a complete copy of an original Shelby.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I agree with the "Do what you like" crowd. There're two sides of the fence in the "Wanna look fast" V the "Wanna truly handle well and be fast" bunch. There's getting to be a lot of clones out there made from cars that were considered guinea pigs because of their original equipment, or lack of, that has diminished the value of the clone field over the years, because there are more clones than plain originals at events lately that I have witnessed. I've quit going up to a lot of them because I felt kind of ripped off when I found out that I had been tricked into thinking it might be an original or something really tricked out by a true craftsman (craftswomen Laurie ). If I had a very well-equipped clone and got upstaged in a "looks" event by one of the 'lipstick on a pig' bunch, I'd be pissed. Just to see an original as it came off the showroom regardless of engine and accessories, is more impressive to me these days.

That doesn't mean that it would be more fun to drive the original so the person who drives it should decide what package rings their chimes. Let it depict your personality. You will be associated with it.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My opinion which matters to nobody except me:

Just say NO :thumbdown: because they are everywhere now. The originality is long gone. Yawn :(

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Charles,

I couldn't agree more... IMO, a real honest to goodness Shelby clone is too easy.... pop a couple scoops on and give it some stripes and emblems?... wow, that's creative.

Although I'm currently building a "Shelby clone" car, I've added considerably more to the car to bring it to the next level.

Full frame, MII front and parallel 4 link rear suspension, 4wPDB, roll bar/mini cage, T-5 trans., carbed (for now) 5.0 (still seeking that reasonable 4.6 DOHC), etc., etc.

The car still resembles a Shelby clone, but will be much more when finished.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/0132-1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/0023.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/0032-1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/davesanborn/0052-1.jpg

Dave

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I have both a genuine stock highly optioned K code convertible and my Dad has a real GT350H, which I drove quite a bit when I was younger. Both cars are great and fun to drive. What I drive the MOST is my '65 Clone! It's fun as hell, and I can do whatever mods I want to it, and it only makes it better! Engine is pretty close to GT350 specs and drives quite similarly to my Dad's real Shelby, if not stronger. I love it and I don't have to worry about it. It's a driver, not a museum piece.

http://troy.krugercentral.com/myclone/desktopcsm.jpg

·
Registered
21,267 Posts
Seems to me that good ol' Carroll has worn out his welcome, doesn't want to sell parts unless you can provide a SN but we still want to plaster his name on our cars, can't understand that. I'll pass. I'd rather have a BOSS or build my own car the way I want.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
They don't do much for me.My personal feeling is that skunk stripes (lemans stripes) are really played out.Mustangs are cool regardless so why make a fake Shelby? Have a nice Mustang instead of just another shelby clone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts