Vintage Mustang Forums banner

What is the Go To 2K Epoxy, SPI or Other

674 27
I am looking to coat the bottom of the floors and frame rails first. Later I need a product to use as a base for everything up.
There are a lot of good things said about SPI 2K epoxy here. Is this still the most popular product, or has something else taken over?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
SPI is good, as is Tamco.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’ve used three different epoxies on different projects ranging from gas pumps to car restorations. I would rank them from:

1) SPI Epoxy
2) TCP Restoration Shop Epoxy
3) Summit Racing’s Epoxy

The easiest to shoot was Summit’s but the “best” seemed to be SPI. All were good though no complaints. 1.3 Tip used on all at 20psi pressure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used SPI for one of my other car paint jobs. Seemed like good stuff to me. In fact I painted the engine bay of that car with the stuff and it has held up incrediblely well. I didn't top coat the engine bay I just used the black epoxy, its impervious to chemicals by the way.

·
Registered
7T03T121875 - 10/5/66 build
106 Posts
SPI for mine, shot it a year ago this week. Not a perfect color or gloss match to the original shade, but my car will never get closer to a concours event than the parking lot outside, so it'll be fine. Sprayed on super easy. I used about 1.5 sprayable gallons on the unibody.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970 Mach 1
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the majority having good results with the SPI, just what I wanted to hear.
I noticed that not one person said to buy the pricey PPG VP2050 primer. At about $200 a gallon, not a product I wanted to use unless necessary.
I bought a quart of the TCP global Restoration Shop brand 2K primer. I used it to do the inside of my replacement quarters and underlying structure. After application, one thing I noticed was the 1" or so of paint in the mixing cup did not cure for about a week.
I also have the House of Kolor primer sealer that I used to paint a small bracket with. The contents of the mixing cup was fully solidified the next day. Both were mixed per instructions leading me to not trust the restoration shop stuff.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The PPG lines are pricey but high quality. I think you’ll find around VMF SPI the go to. I use PPG DP90LF, blocked with UPOL high build, sealed with the UPOL reduced, topped with PPG Omni and cleared with Tamco. It’s been a good stack, budget wise and performance wise. I’ve had good luck with a couple of the TCP Global lines and all the Tamco products I’ve used. Being a phone only order and coming across country are why I don’t use SPI. If I could get it locally on demand I’d use it.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
With the majority having good results with the SPI, just what I wanted to hear.
I noticed that not one person said to buy the pricey PPG VP2050 primer. At about $200 a gallon, not a product I wanted to use unless necessary.
I bought a quart of the TCP global Restoration Shop brand 2K primer. I used it to do the inside of my replacement quarters and underlying structure. After application, one thing I noticed was the 1" or so of paint in the mixing cup did not cure for about a week.
I also have the House of Kolor primer sealer that I used to paint a small bracket with. The contents of the mixing cup was fully solidified the next day. Both were mixed per instructions leading me to not trust the restoration shop stuff.
Following the mix sheets I had zero issues with the restoration shop stuff, but then leftovers in the mixing cup are not the metric I used to judge...I sprayed a test piece at the same time and would scratch it daily to see how long it took for a full cure...about a week is right. This wasn't a problem for me though, I sprayed acrylic enamel for the undercarriage/interior/engine bay within 48 hours....ended up with a really tough finish that is very hard to scratch, no signs of delam yet.

·
Registered
1970 Mach 1
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used ppg and covered the bottom with hot rod clear. View attachment 869473
A bit off-topic, but I noticed the side exit exhaust on your car. Do you have any issues as in too loud or drone with your setup. I see you are using what look like glass back mufflers.
I have bought the quieter mufflers for side exhaust from SpinTech as well as an X-pipe. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I like the sound as my rear suspension does not have adequate room for an over the axle exhaust routing and under is precluded by the anti-sway bar.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
The PPG lines are pricey but high quality. I think you’ll find around VMF SPI the go to. I use PPG DP90LF, blocked with UPOL high build, sealed with the UPOL reduced, topped with PPG Omni and cleared with Tamco. It’s been a good stack, budget wise and performance wise. I’ve had good luck with a couple of the TCP Global lines and all the Tamco products I’ve used. Being a phone only order and coming across country are why I don’t use SPI. If I could get it locally on demand I’d use it.
SPI has jobbers located throughout the country so you likely have one local to you. Shipping is always free.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,334 Posts
Last I used was PPG DP40LF, which I liked a lot. Pricey? Yeah, but there's a professional grade PPG dealer about a five minute drive from my house.

·
Registered
12,657 Posts
I like PPG first, and then it's a wash between the rest.. I have used SPI, and although fine, I don't agree with the internet hype ("But you can call him on the phone!" Not really sure how that is a large selling point). I did find the SPI sprayed funny in a few areas, could have been weather related. I used to have a gallon of Kirker that was my go to for all extra parts and panels if I was doing them later. I quite liked it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts