Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in a photo the other day. I'm not referring to the usual export brace but the other two bars. Was this custom or something of a shelf type brace?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Factory installed braces for a 65' convertible . . . . 66's were shorter and relocated closer to the shock towers. Offers additional rigidity for the convertibles.

The 65' V8's that had this brace also came with a factory "clearanced" air clearer snorkle opening to clear the brace on the passenger's side..

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
...and just so you know the "usual export brace" as shown is not an export brace. Those are the "usual firewall to shock tower braces". A typical export brace is a once piece, heavy stamped steel unit that replaces the stock shock tower braces to provide more rigidity. While a fairly common modification today, an export brace was unusual to come stock back in the day. They were required on cars being exported to Europe (thus the name "export") and they came on 65-68 Shelbys.

BTW, don't take offence at the above. Dennis taught me something I did not know, that there is a difference between 65 and 66 convertible braces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts