Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out what this hole is for in my driver's side floor pan below the accelerator pedal and just back of the seam from where the firewall piece meets the front floor pan. It's hard to tell from the picture now that I have POR-15 there but it's right where there is a little U-shaped notch in the pan. From underneath the car is located above the e-brake cable and just forward of where that cable mounts.
IMG_6455.jpg IMG_6460.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're actually original pans. I just cleaned up some rust in that section then coated it with POR-15 and used the POR-15 seam sealer into the seam. Was going to go over it again with regular seam sealer and then undercoating.

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
Those stitch welds don’t look factory,.....

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Looks like seam sealer. That hole is most likely where the spot welder burned a hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No they don't.
I assume what you're looking at is the black "bead" just forward of the hole- that is actually just the POR-15 Patch (seam sealer) which I just applied from the tube and didn't smooth out. To the right of it on the tunnel is the factory seam sealer and undercoating.

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
I assume what you're looking at is the black "bead" just forward of the hole- that is actually just the POR-15 Patch (seam sealer) which I just applied from the tube and didn't smooth out. To the right of it on the tunnel is the factory seam sealer and undercoating.
Ah, gotcha. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. What they don’t say is that some of those words are lies, lol.

Either way, there is no stock hole in the floorpan in that location.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated. I'll go ahead and fill it with the POR Patch.
I also have a question about a/c drain holes but will post it separately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, gotcha. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. What they don’t say is that some of those words are lies, lol.

Either way, there is no stock hole in the floorpan in that location.
And I also admit that my pictures are probably not that great either! It's a little difficult to get a good picture with that glossy POR-15.

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
This circled area isn’t a stitch weld?
BABC2746-4AC9-460C-ABD2-4387B5BBAACB.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
I’ve never used POR15, too many questionable results, but I’d swear that was a weld bead.

If the material is a liquid, what would make it bead up, weld- like?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wonder if it's an old school foot rest mount like what they had on old 1930's Fords where you could rest your foot while you hold the gas pedal down. My 1934 Tudor Sedan used to have one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the hole is just for manufacturing purposes of the floorpan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve never used POR15, too many questionable results, but I’d swear that was a weld bead.

If the material a liquid, what would make it bead up, weld- like?
It applies like a caulk so I ran most of it into the seam and in that area there wasn’t much of a gap/recess for it so I think it hardened up in that shape over the seam. I’m sorry if I wasn’t explaining it very well. I had not smoothed it out; was planning on applying regular seam sealer over it.
Here are some before, during, and after clean up pictures of the floor pan if you’re curious. You can also see where there is bare metal from the assembly line mounting point (I believe that’s what the plug is for in the middle of the floor pan).
6781B3AB-7F8F-4A94-AC83-CFDAAC082E63.jpeg CBC973E0-E280-4481-9977-4113F89F917D.jpeg 37EA39F1-A6A7-4D98-9232-F51AB9BDF25D.jpeg 401B57E1-A4FE-4F35-BF1A-00046FA24F50.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
I really thought it was a paint consistency type product, I would have sworn that was a weld bead.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts