Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I seem to remember that the original floorpan in my early '65 had a cut out at that spot, so there only was one layer of sheet metal. Like it was prepared for a hole. I guess this was just hidden in sealer from the factory.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I really thought it was a paint consistency type product, I would have sworn that was a weld bead.
Regular original POR15 is heavy paint consistency. They also make heavy low solvent stuff that works like caulking for filling pin holes.
I have used the bottom-of-the-can sludge in old Rust Bullet the same way. Too thick to spray or brush but just right for putty knife.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yep, that’s exactly where and how mine is. And yes, maybe it was covered up with seam sealer before and I didn’t notice it. All my original lines are still in place (but of course that’s not to say a clip or something didn’t get displaced at some point). Oh wait, just looked at my picture of undercarriage again and the retaining clip for the brake and fuel lines is mounted to the crossmember about 2” or so away from the hole.
I’ll try to study the assembly manual again to see if it notes anything there.
In the mean time I’ll just cover it with standard seam sealer and put carpet back down.

I’m glad to hear I‘m not the only one with a random but intentional looking hole in my floor.

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
This is interesting. The theory that it was some sort of alignment hole or some such that was intended to be covered with seam sealer makes sense to me. Still, having spent so much time under, over, around and through these cars, I would think I would have noticed it before.

Weird idea, but I would be interested to know which assembly plant made the examples in this threat. Maybe it could be specific to one plant?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is interesting. The theory that it was some sort of alignment hole or some such that was intended to be covered with seam sealer makes sense to me. Still, having spent so much time under, over, around and through these cars, I would think I would have noticed it before.

Weird idea, but I would be interested to know which assembly plant made the examples in this threat. Maybe it could be specific to one plant?
Dearborn for mine, early February 1966 production

·
Registered
825 Posts
Mine is also a Dearborn car. I do not remember to have seen a pic were something was mounted in that hole. I guess they always was covered with sealer. There could have been made a change late in the developement, so the tools for the sheetmetal already was made, when something was changed to not using that hole.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts