Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , hot some hunk on my spark plugs , what does it look like? Cars runs great , plugs were now changed for 3 years

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Little smoke coming mate yes, and eating oil....Yea figured that too , aluminium heads on the way sir
Well, that would be a BIG HAMMER, solution, but yeah. Cool. Curious what heads you're going with. I also have a Cleveland.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,305 Posts
Might try a hotter heat range plug in the meantime while waiting on the heads, that should keep the plugs cleaner but will not do anything for oil leaking.👍

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Could also simply be a leaking intake manifold gasket, fairly common problem.

Reactions: JeffTepper

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
When oil burns in the combustion chamber in generous quantities it cokes up like that on the spark plugs but also on the valves. You should do at least a compression test because it could also be the rings in those cylinders. You might be doing more than just swapping on a new pair of heads.

·
Registered
221 Posts
do a leak down and compression test.

this will give you the answer if your valve guides or piston rings are bad.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,398 Posts
Lol you guys and your crazy ideas... diagnostics... who needs it....
Could also simply be a leaking intake manifold gasket, fairly common problem.
When oil burns in the combustion chamber in generous quantities it cokes up like that on the spark plugs but also on the valves. You should do at least a compression test because it could also be the rings in those cylinders. You might be doing more than just swapping on a new pair of heads.
do a leak down and compression test.

this will give you the answer if your valve guides or piston rings are bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You didn't mention what engine you have. It's not common to have an intake leak on a small block that creates oil usage.
On an FE, yes. If you have the umbrella stem seals they are known for getting hard and coming apart, blocking oil return passages. The leak down is good advice. A cheap scope camera that will work with your cell phone is available through Ebay or Amazon. Great tool for looking through the intake ports or the spark plug opening.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You didn't mention what engine you have. It's not common to have an intake leak on a small block that creates oil usage.
On an FE, yes. If you have the umbrella stem seals they are known for getting hard and coming apart, blocking oil return passages. The leak down is good advice. A cheap scope camera that will work with your cell phone is available through Ebay or Amazon. Great tool for looking through the intake ports or the spark plug opening.
Did mention the engine mate :) 351c 2v and its not the intake

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the same problem on the #3 cylinder in my 351C. Gotta pull the valve cover and check the valve seal - looks like it's leaking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The FE
I just read this post. No engine information is the thread. It was at the header. I also wasn't the one that brought up the intake. I did mention it was a common oil consumption issue on the FE. Valve stem seals or rings or PCV system is likely the culprit.
We'll hope it's one of the lessors.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
You can also use a little spray-in with the engine running to help clean things up a bit in the by and by.

Reactions: Capt Kent
1 - 19 of 19 Posts