Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This electrical metal tube thing was dangling from under my dash and I have no earthly idea what it is. It's about the size and shape of a pinkie finger, only shorter. It has a hole drilled in the side and part of a clamp around it.
Wood Gas Auto part Fixture Pipe

·
Registered
1966 Coupe
241 Posts
This electrical metal tube thing was dangling from under my dash and I have no earthly idea what it is. It's about the size and shape of a pinkie finger, only shorter. It has a hole drilled in the side and part of a clamp around it. View attachment 847039

·
Premium Member
14,869 Posts
Which year model? If '69 it could be the light to backlight the ignition switch. Possibly an ash tray light. The LtBlu/Red wire indicates that it is in the circuit with the dimable dash/instrument lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see. It's a shift indicator light; probably burned out. It doesn't want to come apart in order to access the bulb. Hardly a critical item. A new assembly is kind of pricey, and I don't know where it is suppose be installed anyway. I guess I'll just stick it back up under the dash.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I see. It's a shift indicator light; probably burned out. It doesn't want to come apart in order to access the bulb. Hardly a critical item. A new assembly is kind of pricey, and I don't know where it is suppose be installed anyway. I guess I'll just stick it back up under the dash.
Maverick beat me to it. It it’s the ashtray light. ($25) I would not just tuck it up there. Disconnect it from the wiring harness. There should be a plug a few inches back from the light. You don’t want something with power going to it bouncing around under the dash.
What concerns me is how rusted it is. Possible indication of a cowl or windshield leaking. It’s not normal for water to be damaging things under the dash unless you have a good sized leak.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Get some Evapo-Rust, make sure the power is off to the light, and submerge it over night. All the rust will be gone and the top part will remove to replace the bulb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maverick beat me to it. It it’s the ashtray light. ($25) I would not just tuck it up there. Disconnect it from the wiring harness. There should be a plug a few inches back from the light. You don’t want something with power going to it bouncing around under the dash.
What concerns me is how rusted it is. Possible indication of a cowl or windshield leaking. It’s not normal for water to be damaging things under the dash unless you have a good sized leak.
Yeah, I just bought this car a few weeks ago and thought it was rust free. There is significant rust inside, however. I wasn't expecting that - no rust on the outside and rust inside. It looks like it has been leaking from the windshield seal, but it had not occurs to me to check for a cowl leak. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Yeah, I just bought this car a few weeks ago and thought it was rust free. There is significant rust inside, however. I wasn't expecting that - no rust on the outside and rust inside. It looks like it has been leaking from the windshield seal, but it had not occurs to me to check for a cowl leak. Thanks.
Unfortunately many a Mustang has rusted from the inside out. The early Cowls leak (Don’t know about later ones which can be opened and cleaned). So do the front and rear Windows when the seals dry out. All that lets water get to areas that are not well protectedl Carpets and other material hold the water against the metal and allow rust to form. Then it’s mearly a matter of time. 1st the floors rot, then the toes boards, followed by the cowl, frame rails, rockers, and eventually the door posts. Hopefully your’s is not too far along. If the window is leaking, the frame around the window may have rust damage too. I had to repair quite a bit around the edge of a 65 fastback window that had leaked into the trunk causing lots of damage. Until the window was removed the damage around it was hidden.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

1 - 20 of 29 Posts