Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tracing the wiring for my inoperative amp gauge when I found this connector at the starter solenoid. I thought it was a connector but it crumbled in my hand when I gently tugged on it. Its full of green nastiness too. It shows 12 volts on each end of the wire. Is this just a plain connector or a fusible link ?

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used a regular connector to join the 2 wires and my amp meter is working now. I want to clean the terminals at the bulkhead connector on the firewall. How do you disconnect that connector? Inside or outside of the car?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
I believe it has wiring harnesses that plug in at both ends. Some spray electrical cleaner would be good, or rubbing alcohol, dries fast. A small brass brush works well too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it has wiring harnesses that plug in at both ends. Some spray electrical cleaner would be good, or rubbing alcohol, dries fast. A small brass brush works well too.
After I got to looking closer, thats what I discovered but, it was too corroded to fix. I joined the 2 wires together with another connector. Amp gauge is working. Well, somewhat, as usual. It moves about 1/16" either way so, Im tracing the wiring to clean each contact point. I cant figure out how to disconnect the bulkhead at the firewall though.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
I mean at the firewall or "bulkhead". The harness unplugs under the hood for sure and I think under the dash, too. It may take disconnecting the battery, spraying cleaner or alcohol on the plug to help dissolve the crud and prying it open to get it to unplug, but it may not be worth breaking it to clean it until you have a replacement on hand. You may need it... kind of like not draining the oil from all your vehicles at once...

Reactions: Fitch
1 - 5 of 5 Posts