Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
My weekend Bozo moment: C4 auto dipstick tube was leaking and I finally received the new O-ring so time to change it out. Unbolted the dipstick tube from the head and pulled the dipstick tube out and heard what sounded like a splash. Looked underneath and see transmission fluid streaming out of the dipstick tube hole. It eventually turned into a slow trickle by the time I got a pan underneath it.

Garage floor was a mess to say the least... Doh!
Been there, done that - about 25 years ago. I was under the transmission wondering what was stopping it from moving back to let it drop down. I noticed the tube and just yanked it out - completely forgetting that I hadn't drained it yet. I looked like a gunshot victim, but also discovered that ATF makes your hair soft....

Today's Bozo moment was spending several hours welding with the power maxed out on my 35+ year old MIG welder - in 90 degree heat. Doesn't seem to weld so well anymore once it gets warm.

Reactions: cally68

Registered
Buying 鈥渃ut to fit鈥 axles for the 9鈥 because I saved $150.

45 minutes to cut the first one. Won鈥檛 make that mistake again. :)

Registered
I've had a neighbor 17 year old come over the last two weekends. He's thinking of getting an old mustang and wanted to learn about them. Last weekend we pulled out the c4 for replacement. Putting the new one in today we got it on the studs but no further. I'm thinking the new torque convertor must have different spacing. Fortunately after about 30 minutes of jiggling and moving the torque convertor around the convertor stud finally lined up and we were able to get it in the hole and got it buttoned up. I was half joking with him, he might get his second lesson in removing a trans. Next week we'll be hooking up new exhaust. I must admit it's so nice having an extra set of hands and someone to give you a kickstart to get out in the garage....thanks Henry!

Registered
Well, had to hook the front of the mustang back up to the rotisserie and flip it on her side. 1/2 way over a terrible crashing noise accompanied the car sliding across the loose front crossmember (that connects to the rotisserie spindle) and the left rocker coming up hard on a bolt connecting the square tubing linking front and rear rotisserie sections at the floor level (car was almost completely on her side). This prevented car from falling completely out of the front section and twisting the heck out of the new taillite panel.
I had to rig up my cherry picker to the right side shock tower (that was now near the ceiling) and slide the car upwards on the loose crossmember, center it and lock down the two bolts i had forgot to tighten...
My youngest boy was helping me and was witness to all this.
He laughed and asked if this is the kind of thing that typically happens when I am out here working alone.
No, but,,
Wish I had taken a pic lol...

Registered
I confounded Tracy the checkout person at HD this am. I had a odd assortment of fertilizer, rat traps, paint brushes and some other thing. Tracy asked what I had going this weekend. I told her the days project was to kill some rats, paint them then dip em in the fertilizer and see if they would still grow. WHAT!?!?!??! was her response.
Almost spit my tea on the laptop reading that one.

Registered
I ran the Mustang out of gas on a test run, 1 mile from the house鈥ife to the rescue!
Several years ago, I picked the Mustang up from the restorer and drove it home for a show the next day. Car wouldn't start in the morning cuz it was out of gas, in the garage. And no, there was no gas leak overnight.

Registered
I put hood struts on the Shelby Sat, and got the hood end connected, but the strut was too long to clip onto the fender end, so I tried for a minute or so to push it in and shorten it, which is not easy, until I realized I could raise the hood up as much as I needed to match it up. The second strut went much faster.

Registered
Not this weekend, but when I was cleaning up the wiring under my dash I noticed an empty bullet connector that I thought I had traced correctly to hot 12V to use as my radio power source. I wired everything up, added a male bullet connector, loomed it, etc. and what do you know, the radio works perfectly. Then I close the door and it shuts off. Turns out I wired it to the interior lights...

Registered
I confounded Tracy the checkout person at HD this am. I had a odd assortment of fertilizer, rat traps, paint brushes and some other thing. Tracy asked what I had going this weekend. I told her the days project was to kill some rats, paint them then dip em in the fertilizer and see if they would still grow. WHAT!?!?!??! was her response.
i can't imagine how confused she must have looked:LOL::LOL:

Registered
I got lucky this weekend. Took my youngest and one of her best friends out shooting at the local range this weekend. It was his first time every shooting a firearm. I took the AR15, M1A, Ruger GP100,and the Ruger Mark IV .22 - and we all came back safe and sound. The range safety officer didn't have to yell at us once! Afterward we went to Jimmy's Hot Dogs in Bisbee and enjoyed a small meal of hot dogs, fries, and a drink. All in all a good day with no physical ailments, no emotions trashed, and good times together. And my daughter can shoot that AR....nice groupings at 100 yards!

Registered
鈥淚 wish I had a brain鈥, said the Scarecrow. This weekend I started the process to install the Vintage LED taillights which includes the two electronic flashers. The turn signal flasher was easy to reach since it was already hanging down, but I couldn鈥檛 find the emergency flasher. I couldn鈥檛 find it anywhere with my hand or a flashlight. Reviewing posts online I saw that the flasher could potentially be attached to the back of the instrument cluster. I proceeded to begin removing the instrument cluster which I don鈥檛 think has been out since 1968, and a dash pad that was sagging down. I finally got the cluster loose enough to pull forward however the speedo cable was too short and I couldn鈥檛 reach to remove it. Last night I reread some of the online posts and realize that the flasher that鈥檚 behind the instrument cluster is the turn signal! With that knowledge I reconnect the battery, turned the emergency flasher on and felt around until I could feel the clicking with my hand. Located the flasher and now ready to swap them both out! I could have avoided a fair amount of labor (and sweat) if I just read a little bit closer on the difference in location between the two flashers.

Registered
Another weekend Bozo of mine. I seem to have plenty for some reason while working on my Mustang over the last 40 years.

Car ran fine the day before, went out in the morning to start her up and completely dead. Checked battery voltage and it was totally drained. I knew something was left on or shorting draining the battery. Disconnected the negative cable and connected my battery charger to charge the battery for the rest of the day. Later in the day checked the battery, 12.8V. Disconnected the battery charger and connected a test light between the negative cable and negative battery post. Got a nice bright test light, ugh..

Started pulling the fuses one by one to see which one would would turn off the test light. When I pulled the courtesy lights fuse, the test light goes off. I thought something in the courtesy wiring is on or shorting. I just started getting my voltmeter setup when I looked at the driver's door, saw the courtesy light in the door was on and realized I had the driver's door open the whole time I was pulling the fuses. DOH! Hey, it's easier getting under the dash with the door open..

Closed the door this time and started with the courtesy lights fuse. Pulled the fuse, test light went off. Then I recalled I had used the map lights in the roof console to read the manual that came with my Retrosound radio to set the time and station presets. Pushed the passenger map light switch a few times and the test light went off. I think the switch got stuck. Strange thing is the light was not on. Bulb is good because it does turn on.

Registered
Not this weekend, but when I was cleaning up the wiring under my dash I noticed an empty bullet connector that I thought I had traced correctly to hot 12V to use as my radio power source. I wired everything up, added a male bullet connector, loomed it, etc. and what do you know, the radio works perfectly. Then I close the door and it shuts off. Turns out I wired it to the interior lights...
lol....seen similar before. I got called over to troubleshoot a cellular install in one of our board member's car. He complained that the phone would shut off on his way to work and wouldn't come back on until he was half way home. Found that the installer had tapped into the twilight switch. He would leave home in the dark, phone worked fine. Halfway to work the sun would be coming up and the headlights and phone would shut off. Sun would be setting as he was driving home and lights and phone would power back up.

Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
Well...I just broke a 15 year old pre-marriage irreplaceable champagne glass while washing it...if that counts.
Get some Gorilla Glue and glue it back together and put it back up on the shelf. At least you can buy yourself some time.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts