Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is trying to "lay down the law." She wants to set up a budget where I only get a certian amount per month to spend on my car related expenses. She has offered 700 a month but I'm not sure if that will do. That includes all car related expenses(my cars) and half the insurance. Since I'm trying to get an idea on this proposition please let me know in realistic terms what you spend each month on cars. Though we all know the lowest amt is probably Dave Sanborn at zero dollars, because he makes his own parts with materials found in the forest. ::

James

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I think it all depends on where you're at with your project.
I've been beating the crap outta that number for a few months now...but, I'm in the middle of paint/resto. ::

If it was "done" $700 would be pleanty for me. I think. ;)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Geez Bish, grow some gonads, wouldja? Your the man of the house, it's YOUR job to lay down the law! Don't let her tell you what you can and can't ...

Oops, gotta run before the wife catches me on VMF again, bye!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Since I just recently finished the major portion of "restoration" of the 66, I am broke, period! Swmbo and kids felt sorry for me and bought a nice cd player and some sony explodes to put in...wow. Maybe I need to put on the poor mouth more often ::

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For me, a monthly budget would be unreasonable. I go for months without spending a penny, than will drop $800 in one month... than go for a couple months without spending anythng again. now, i'm 18, so i can do whatever i want to with my (limited) money... but sounds like it might end up in a fight. do your unspent dollars roll over into the next month? you might have a month where you only spend $100 or something... but than the next month when you want the new $2000 turbo, can you get it?

just pointing out a couple things...

- Jason

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Gas money...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If she's writing the checks, she probably has a good feel for what you've spent.
That said, you be the judge on what kind of negotiator she is. Does she come in low? etc.

I have a dedicated credit card for the Stangs. Then I have a direct deposit account with $250 a week taken out. I budget that against the credit card payment monthly. Works most of the time. Some month way ahead, some months behind.

We have an "Overdraft" agreement. When we go to Carlisle, swap meets, or junk yarding it doesn't count in the budget. At the Ford Super Swap in Columbus I spent $1500 just at Branda.- Pretty much blew that agreement. but then I saw a pair of Late model black leather vert buckets that were perfect ! Marked at $250, a bargain to begin with. I HAD to HAVE THEM.
...Long story short, SWMBO said ok.
The key is flexability and an understanding wife.
Dan

P.S. Insurance isn't included.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With a new born just arriving and a 10 yr old that wants more expensive toys than I do, a budget is necessary for me. I would have her put the $700 (actually, I would ask for $750 just to say I got want I wanted, not what she wanted to give :: ). I'd open a savings acct and have her dep the money in there every month. So if one month I use $250, I have $500 plus the next month $750...if you want new rims/tires that cost $1400, you wait two months...at least you know you'll have it with a little wait. It's all give and take...I have my hobbies and she has hers so to afford both we need a budget that's fair for each. Guy(NH)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hmmm. This is a tough one. SWMBO spends a lot of money on her hobbies but spends it in small increments but lots of small increments. I am just the opposite. I spend lots of money at once then go for a while without spending much of anything.

The deal at my house is my paycheck pays the bills, buys groceries, pays incidentals (insurance, gas, clothes, etc). Whetever is left goes into my car account. SWMBO paycheck is pretty much play money so it is divided evenly between my hobbies, her hobbies, and large houshold expenditures when necessary. We kind of work things out if she wants something big then we save and get it. If I want something big then we save and get it. So I guess we really don't have a monthly budget. Just kind of talk things over and work things out.

Budget thing kind of has some appeal especially if the dollars roll over if not spent.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Not counting routine expenses (gas, insurance, oil, etc.) we agreed aon $400/month.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I try to average out my spending to about $500-700 a month, on the mustang alone, not counting other cars or insurance. that money is my money to spend. I think I end up averaging about $300-500 a month over the last year. If i want something big, I just wait a few months either before or after before I spend anymore money. I'm about to spend $1000 on some engine parts, but I haven't bought anything major (over $50) since April, so I figure I'm due.

But then again, I also track all the expenses in the house and pay the bills (though my wife brings in 50% of our money, she just doesn't like paying bills or keeping the books straight).

Slade

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thats really hard to say. When I locate the more rare parts or accessories I want to find I can end up spending over $1000 easy, but that doesn't happen every month. We have two seasons here rainy and dry. During the dry season at least 200-300. During the rainy season next to nothing.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is all rollover dollars. Basically, I'm in charge of whatever money I have leftover and I can buy basically anything I want without her knowledge which is a good think for both of us I think. ::

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I've had mine a long time. If I add up everything I've spent on parts and labor (over 25 years or so) it comes to about $45 a month.

If you throw in insurance and gas that would add another $100 plus a month for the summer months and almost zero (a dollar or two) for the non-summer months.

So the total average monthly expenditure is only about $100 a month for absolutely everything Mustang related (including buying the car).

If MY wife made ME the offer your's made, I would bargin DOWN to $200 and then accept (there are a lot of other things in the world that I need to spend money on!). If I were YOU, I would accept her offer. And what I think you'll do is make sure she see doesn't see this post and bargain up.

Best of luck. :)

John Harvey

1 - 20 of 27 Posts