Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s that tool that you don’t always use but man does it come in handy. For me, I would say my oxyacetylene torch. They have so many uses, I think every garage should have one. I don’t use it a lot, but when I have to, man am I glad it’s there.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
My thread repair/thread chaser set.

Also have a set of sockets that will remove bolts with rounded off bolt heads.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Floor jack. Beyond the car it is used for lawn equipment, jacking up structures and I have used it to hold up kitchen wall cabinets while I cut them loose. Last winter I used it rescue a neighbor girl that drove off her grandparents driveway and highpointed the axle on a concrete curb. I jacked the axle up off the curb and the jack wheels allowed her to pull forward back onto the driveway.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would have to say....my motorcycle lift. I don't own a motorcycle, but that thing makes a perfect transmission jack...as well as easily moving drivetrains back and forth for engine swaps, and when not being used for those it makes a perfect dolly for any large toolbox or whatever I need to move around.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Administrator
19,433 Posts
Streamlight pocket sized flashlight. Wife even noticed it when I was working on daughter's off-brand car. She said every time she came out to the shop the light was either in one hand or in my mouth. I have like $200 worth of Saber and underhood lights on hand yet I'll still be using just the flashlight. If I have clothes on that don't include a necktie, the Streamlight is in a pocket.

The Stylus Pro is the one I use. This one- https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/stylus-pro
I keep a number of rechargeable AAA batteries on hand here and there for when it needs them. (I also have another AAA powered small flashlight that's brighter but eats a lot battery power.) Streamlight also has a USB rechargeable version which I don't see the point of. When it goes dead you just have to twiddle your thumbs until it recharges or have a second light on hand.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Cheap ball cap with LEDs in the brim. Similar in scope to the mouth flashlight, but less drooly...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am going to add a set of transfer punches as well...rarely used, but invaluable for fabrication where you need to accurately transfer a bolt pattern.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Titanium scissors. They’re super sharp and durable and I used them for most of my interior work. You can cut any underlayment and carpet really easily and into whatever shape you need.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
My 24" telescoping magnet. I'm always dropping tools, bots, nuts, parts,etc., and of course they end up as far from my reach as possible. I bust out my trust magnet and retrieve that stuff without getting too angry and frustrated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts