Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
My 24" telescoping magnet. I'm always dropping tools, bots, nuts, parts,etc., and of course they end up as far from my reach as possible. I bust out my trusty magnet and retrieve that stuff without getting too angry and frustrated.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Leatherman Supertool.
Specifically the Surge, most recently.
Add the Bit Kit and it is absolutely remarkable.
Hands-down the most valuable and useful tool I have ever owned, I carry it EVERYWHERE, at home, at work, on trips and it has been used to make my life and other lives easier, safer, and gotten many jobs done without having to search for other tools to do it, and without it, I feel naked and handicapped. In public. Under a spotlight.
My old Leatherman tools get retired to kitchen duty. My kids have their own.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Two tools I'll never be without again, I carry a fenix tk16 flashlight in my pocket every day, and the 20 volt dewalt, brushless impact driver. I use them both daily.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
The first response I came up was my buddy Brad (2nd66) ;o)))) - what a good friend, he'll crawl under a car and fight a transmission...

A strong headlight that straps to the top of your head. I know you have looked at 'em and wondered. Its the best $10 you'll spend and get lots of lumens and one with variable strength (save battery or go for the sun) and variable field of view - lots o light in a little spot or broad to see the entire engine bay. Even in daytime, never any shadows, always good strong light - working on headers or under the car or under/in the dash, looking down a carb. brakes... - you WILL be amazed - its always on my head. I keep a pack o batteries on the toolbox cause I use it so much!

Trust me, you'll PM me and say; "thanks Dobrostang - your amazing" - and you would be right! ;o)

·
Registered
3,202 Posts

Spring Hook

Comes in handy when you least expect it.

Many years ago I assembled a trampoline for my grand kids and it included a spring puller for the 48 springs around the perimeter. I still have it and use it for a bunch of things. Got a tension spring on my mower deck that is a bear to get on and off and that tool makes it sooooo ....much easier.

·
Registered
117 Posts
(1) Duct tape
(2) Wire coat hanger
(3) WD-40
...someone had to say it :)

But the "tool" I've been most impressed with lately are these lights. They have a magnetic base and when working on the car really seem to be able to be easily placed and configured to illuminate all the nooks and crannies. Especially when you have two of them.

You can find a similar light (which I also have) at harbor freight (see link below) but the ones in the link above are better in that they are lighter, don't tip over as easily, the light head swivels further, and they have a hook on the end so you can hang them when needed. On the good side, they are cheap, unfortunately, they also feel a bit "cheap" (but so far they have worked, so no complaints).

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can find a similar light (which I also have) at harbor freight (see link below) but the ones in the link above are better in that they are lighter, don't tip over as easily, the light head swivels further, and they have a hook on the end so you can hang them when needed. On the good side, they are cheap, unfortunately, they also feel a bit "cheap" (but so far they have worked, so no complaints).

I'm on my second one of those lights. They are more fragile than I like. But they are so darn handy and bright I can't do without.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I’ve gone from a headlamp to a neck lamp. Haven’t seen them anywhere but on the truck. I reckon someone will make a copy. I’ve got the Coast rechargeable head lamp but don’t use it much these days.

The flip flat lights are good. I’ve used one for a few years. IP 57 rated. If you get one off the truck they’re far more durable than the HF but it should be for the price. I also use a few of the 700 lumen metal case, IP 65 rated project lights. The detachable under hood 2000 lumen IP67 under hood light is the bomb but only runs on high for a couple of hours though you can run it from the charger. The telescoping rod with the adjustable swivel is great. I’m nuts about lights.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm going to add adaquate tool chest space to keep all this stuff somewhat organized. Also like the 5 gallon bucket bags (for lack of a better name). May have to dig around in the bucket a bit but a lot better than standing around feeling like an idiot wondering where I laid down that tool I was using 2 minutes ago. Nice cardboard box is almost as good.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts