Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took out the '67 (with 302) and it always likes to spit up a little fluid when it's hot. It dosn't overheat, it just likes to run with the water in the rad at just above the core level. I don't like to leave it like that, so I put on an overflow tank. That solved the problem, it would puke up a little when it was hot out, and after you shut it off it would suck it back in. Well yesterday the same thing happened, but instead of it going into the recovery tank it puked out the cap and all over the top of the rad. I didn't loose too much, when I took the cap off it was still full, and there was a little in the bottom of the recovery tank.

I guess my question here is why did it puke out the cap instead of going through the hose into the tank? I bench tested the cap (which is only a year old) and it checked out fine. (13#, what it calls for) It is the type with the brass main seal. I don't see why this happened. Maybe it's just a fluke? Any ideas? Thanks for the replies! :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The overflow tank kits come with a rubber gasket that fits under the cap. Mine was too thick to get the cap on, so I threw it away, and it works fine. Perhaps yours needs some kind of additional seal under the cap? That's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Mine had the same problem when I first installed it (a racing-style dump can for overflow). My problem was that I was not allowing it to vent, so the fluid would puke out at the weakest point (at one of the tank's fittings). Once I rearranged my set up to allow for venting, everything worked fine. So, as mentioned above, you might have a seal of some type that's not allowing for full expansion and ventilation....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts