Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of distributor would fit with the 6al MSD box? I heard it had to be a 80s mustang with electronic ignition? I am just looking for info on whats would fit. I would hate to spend 250 for a msd distributor if a stock one from a parts store will fit the same.

I was told the reason why they went to those distributors was to keep the wires farther apart to keep crossfiring down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A distributor for a 79 Ford 302 is the ticket. $55 at autozone too. :D

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I was told the reason why they went to those distributors was to keep the wires farther apart to keep crossfiring down?
Did you know that you can take the cap adapter and distributor cap from an electronic distributor and install them on an early distributor ?

I used an MSD distributor on my 302 . There are some low $$ new distributors on ebay , but I don't know about their reliability .

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks!! So that 79 302 distributor is set up for that MSD box. Other than having to cut the wiring?

What about the cap adapter and Cap anything special? I am just unaware of this stuff. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The MSD dizzy pickup is the same as a Ford duraspark pick-up. A 74-79 Ford duraspark II dizzy should work with the MSD box. I'd call MSD tech to make sure, but logically, they should be compatible.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,193 Posts
The "1977" distributor above is indeed what you want. AKA a "Duraspark II" distributor. When hooking one of those to an MSD box, all you need is one of MSD's "Duraspark II adapters". Last I checked these wiring adapters ran about $8. No distributor wires need be cut.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You don't need any special distributor with an MSD6A-L. You can run a stock distributor with points, if you want to.

Having the MSD6 box does not mean you need an HEI style cap. I ran a stock FoMoCo distributor in my '66's 289, with a Pertronix Ignitor, MSD6A-L, and Petronix Flame Thrower coil.

·
Registered
219 Posts
johnpro is right. I run a 6AL box on my 1973 MGB with the factory distributor(points & condenser) with out any problems. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts