Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would a small block fords performace be effected by adding an MSD billet distributor and 6A ignition box? This is over the old ford points distributor...... How will it run, what will be different?

G

·
A lot will depend on how modified your engine is. More mods i.e. compression, nitrous, the more it helps. I like the 6 becaust it's small & inexpensive. I think I'd use a Duraspark distributor if it were me. Probably won't make a lot of difference though.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I was running a Duraspark setup. I added the MSD 6A box and I noticed a significant improvement in idle and higher RPM performance. I like the Duraspark dizzy with the MSD ignition box because it's just as effective and cheaper.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
How would a small block fords performace be effected by adding an MSD billet distributor and 6A ignition box?

Main noticeable differences will be quicker cold starts and a cleaner idle.

Performance-wise, it'll depend on the build state of the engine....the denser the air-fuel charge, the greater the benefit of the MSD...

Oh, and you can forget about plug gaps...I've run them as big as 1/16" on the race car with no problems...

For a street car, as PrairieBronze and James mentioned, a Duraspark distributor, if you can find one cheap or free, will serve fine as a trigger...I ran that setup for years on the little engines in the race car with no problems at all. I have a billet distributor in the current W in the car but that's because I didn't have a stock Duraspark laying around...

Good luck!

G

·
I'm kind of new to the FORD environment, so maybe you could clear something up for me. Waht is a duraspark dist.? Is this the stock FORD dist?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
What is a duraspark dist.? Is this the stock FORD dist?

Yup, stock Ford electronic distributor from late 70's/early 80's IIRC, before Ford went to the computer controlled ignition systems (EEC IV, etc). It's essentially similar to a MSD except for the multi spark part IIRC, and has a small control box (much smaller than MSD box) to control and interpret the signals from the magnetic pickup.

MSD's have instructions for wiring up to this distributor. I used one in the early 80's with a MSD6 in the 289/302's in the race car with good success. I liked the cost (next to nothing at that time for the distributor) and the reliability and performance (the Duraspark has the large diameter cap with spark plug terminals..more reliable with high voltages and spark energies than the smaller cap)

Hope that helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts