Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that instead of paying around $200-$250 for a new full cowl panel, I'm going to cut out all the rotted parts, and patch pieces in where needed. What metal should I use, and what gauge thickness? TIA.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
no 19 & 1/2,
yep deffinetely 19 &1/2

lol
good luck ,let me know how you make out I need the same repair, ps, how did you remove the top cowl. did you drill out the welds or just cut it off, I have to start thta soon
paul

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch guys! I guess I'll use whatever's cheapest. *lol*
Stang32, on my 69, the top, with the vents (or louvres, whatever they're called *G*), it just bolts on, and then there's another panel, which has spotwelds, and then you finally get to the cowl panel. I'm pretty sure it's different on the earlier Stangs, though. Anyways, the second panel down, I did cut all the spot welds out. My suggestion is to go get some paint stripper if you don't already have some, strip all the gunk off where the spot welds are, and then use a wire brush so that you can see the welds much easier. It wasn't hard to get it off, it just took a long time. Also, I really reccommend the spotweld cutter from Eastwood. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts