Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
says the Explorer 5.0 has GT40 heads and intake but the specs show 215hp and 275tq. Lower than I thought but what would it do with exhaust (headers for Gt40 avail?) a cam ? heads ? centri blower ?

EXPLORER GT40 HO 5.0 302 ENGINE MUSTANG HEADS INTAKE 65 - eBay (item 120692492705 end time May-01-11 12:11:26 PDT)

I'd probably look for a cheaper one but just to get the short block, fuel injection stuff, wiring, computer and accessories. My thought was getting someting like this and just changing the heads, cam and exhaust and run that for awhile and put a centri blower on it later ??

maybe put in a forged rotating assembly while it's apart ?

could I run my C4 or AOD with it for awhile ?

thoughts ? better starting place than a Mustang roller 5.0 ? or the same after making the listed changes ?

I'll want a AODE eventually with it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
There isn't a lot of tech available for converting over an explorer injection system into anything.

It would seem you already know the problem with the P heads.

On the good side the photo is of a very clean engine.
Swapping the cam would require new valve springs.
Swapping the heads, well the sky is the limit.
Blowers are nice, wish I could afford one.
You may need to replace all the front dress. I am not sure of the availability of an explorer blower kit.

In short, this may not be your best route. Have you tried looking for a used mustang with a blower in it?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed all the same Mustang accesory belt drive system would be the same therefore a Mustang blower kit would work on it ?

not sure what's wrong with the P heads ??? I figured this would be just like putting a Mustang roller 5.0 in but with the GT40 heads and intake.

what do you mean looking for a used Mustang with a blower on it ? You mean to buy an entire car and part it out ?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Mustang fox body, lots of parts available, lots of aftermarket parts available, proven to fit (serpentine system) while the explored has a great intake you can use, stick to the fox body computer and wiring and throttle body system. But the Explorer intake is a common swap on Mustangs since it flows so well.
AODE is a '94-'95 transmission that requires the same ECM. Go with the AOD from the fox also. Works stand alone without the ECM.
P heads require special headers to clear the spark plugs. There are only a few brands made to fit vintage Mustangs with P heads, and they don't come cheap.
Just read the ad, MPS has a reputation for having a lot of stuff to offer, but really high prices. Shopping around, you might be able to find a good donor car to pull a motor from and sell the rest of the parts to break even.
Watch the Corral.net for deals and market pricing.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
353 Posts
what about this Mustang 5.0 ? can I use this power steering pump with my OEM 68 power steering ? looks like all the accessories are in similar locations as my current 302 with vbelts
Are you doing an EFI conversion, or are you planning to swap to a carb? Fox fuel rail inlet/return are right-front of the engine which I consider a pretty bad location for trying to do a swap, the '96-97 Explorer rails (maybe thru '98, at some point they went returnless) have left rear inlet/return which I found much easier to adapt (but then I replumbed the car from scratch.)

You will need to have hoses made for the power steering, as the pump location and fittings are quite different, I have no experience running the stock power steering (I would never run stock Mustang power steering, period) on a Fox pump but I think the pump pressure is considerably higher and you might find the behavior different.

The Fox AC compressor is top left, alternator top right, AIR pump bottom right. If you're not running AIR you can dump the pump and its plumbing (there are plugs available for the holes in the backs of the heads) and run a shorter belt (or an idler-pulley kit if you want to for some reason, they're available.)

Radiator neck locations on a Fox are top right/bottom left. Once you've got a radiator with the hose necks in the right place the usual hose recommendations are Bronco 2.9 V6 LOWER hose for the upper and a '70-later smallblock hose for the lower.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
In a nut shell, it will work. You might want to simplify things for the mustang. I cut the air pump ears off eliminating it, modified the alt bracket so the '94-'95 3G alt. will fit, powder coated everything, etc.. Mine started life as an engine block out of the local paper for $50 and serpentine brackets for $100 from corral.net
Just remember, as mentioned above, radiator issues. NPD sells a crossover pipe to connect to your radiator to route things correctly. Also, flywheel or flexplate balance has to match the motor and the old trans if you keep that.
Oh, and those plugs JEM mentioned, you can actually use bolts to do the same job.
Here's mine:
(Please forgive me for the nasty A/C compressor. New one is on the way)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any year 5.0 that is better to fit in my 68 to run my factory a/c, my factory PS, and an intercooled cerntifugal supercharger ?

I just want to put in a fuel injected 5.0 with a/c, PS, with my AOD, aftermarket heads, cam, headers, maybe GT40 upper and lower intake, and an intercooled centri supercharger with maybe 10PSI boost. Thinking a Procharger set up.

Looking for about 500hp. Maybe get a forged rotating assembly if there is not a stock shortblock that I can run that will hold that much power.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
You might be able to run a vintage style Paxton to use the '68 belt drive system, but then you mention GT40 intake and modern FI system. Here's where you want the best of both worlds and I don't think you are going to have your cake and eat it too. My suggestion (again) is to just use the Fox serpentine and update your A/C with a Fox compressor, Fox P/S pump using an adaptor for high pressure line. This way you can find a supercharger designed around a modern FI system.
And 500 HP out of a stock block is pushing it too hard. I've seen lots of photos of split blocks that were pushing 500HP. You are going to need a Boss or Dart block to live with those numbers. Oh, and a big yes on the forged internals.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so all the belt drive systems are interchangeable from year to year of all 302's ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
88-92 5.0 HO engines have TRW forged pistons and usually have gray oil pans as opposed to later models with black oil pans and hypereuteric pistons.

Forged is nice but the newest 5.0 is now, what 15 years old or older?

Plan on a rebuild if you intend to do it right and do it once and then build it the way you want it.

If I were to build a windsor motor, I would build an aftermarket block if I wanted 500 horsepower, but then again, you could build a stock block, get that level of power and have it last a long time if everything goes your way

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There isn't a lot of tech available for converting over an explorer injection system into anything.
actually there is. Swapping an explorer motor into a fox 80's era mustang is the most common thing out there now. You just use the explorer intake and injectors with the eec IV computer system and wiring from an 86-95 mustang

The explorer motors are amazing, and don't bother with a rebuild...5.0's are indestructable...just try and get one from a place that is reliable and said the engine was running b4 they pulled it.

I've converted three explorer motor's already, and all three have been amazing.

FYI, as you suspect, the bottleneck is the explorer cam and valve springs. Swap the cam out...the best off the shelf cam is the tfs stage 1 cam (called the track heat 1 cam now)...that cam works extremely well with the gt40 or gt40p heads...I also went with the tfs valve spring kit, as the explorer springs will float over 5k rpm's or so.

the explorer efi intake is a fantastic piece...it's a near clone of the "cobra" intake found in OEM 93-95 cobra's and flows the same. You can use that intake, and re use the stock 19# injectors too with the fox mustang injector harness that comes with the computer harness from a fox mustang. However, fyi I've converted a 2000 explorer motor, and those injectors had a different plug...however it seems pre 2000 should be ok to re use with the mustang wiring harness.

The 19# explorer injectors have a better spray pattern than the stock 19# mustang injectors, so re use the explorer injectors. The 19# injectors are good for 300 hp, and still be at maybe 80% duty cycle...so they should be good for that engine

The #'s you'll get with a good carb or the explorer intake is between 235 at the wheels to 260 at the wheels on average...I've seen many of these in person at the dyno, and they all average these #'s, which is right about 300 flywheel hp, give or take.

My friend is running the unported gt40 iron heads with a typhoon efi intake in a heavy fox gt mustang, and is doing 12.9's in the 1/4 n/a and lifting a wheel now.

I got a little carried away on this engine with alum polishing...but here is a pic from a few years ago (this was still during assembly...I've since sold this car)...this was a 97 explorer motor pan to intake..in my 86 convertible musta g

1 - 12 of 12 Posts