Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I got my Jim Osborne Weld, body and interior assy manuals in the UPS today to help me fix my fastback rear vent leak. They are quite helpful, can't believe I never bought these sooner. Anyway a couple questions for everyone that has restored a Mustang. 1. What kind of sealer do you use for inside the car areas? The manual refers to an old ford part number...what do you use now adays to seal areas around water like the vent boxes? 2. The Interior manual shows water sheild over the area behind the rear quater trim. My car doesn't have this right now. I know this is the same material you put behind the door trim panels. Where do you buy the material pre-cut for the rear quater trim area, or where do you buy larger sheets of this material? I haven't seen it in my VA Classic catalog. 3. They refer to some 3" wide tape being used in a few areas before putting in the water sheild. What kind of tape is this and where do you buy it? Thanks, Kory

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
No one makes FB rear watershield panels. The tape is high quality Duct Tape...no sh!t! I've removed all of it and installed a quality drain system to put any water down at the rocker panel drain outlet. Those components were designed to keep the water off of the fiberglass panels.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks, I want to replace the missing water sheild. What kind of drain system did you install? I still find it crazy that the water just piles up down in the rockers and the well of the outter quater panel...Rust city I would think..

Kory

G

·
0 Posts
can anyone comment on this?
i was having a window replaced on my late model mustang and the first thing the glass guy did was rip out the watershield and throw it away. i said "dude, what are you doing!?" he said watershields do more harm than good because water splashes up behind them and is held against the door shell causing rust much faster than if it had just evaporated. i would think even a little water splashed on those masonite door panels would swell em right up.
is this guy correct or full of crap?

[color:blue]'65 wimbledon white original coupe I6
'99 silver convertible V6

Check out Mike & Jackie's '65 Mustang </font color=blue>

http://mike-o.home.att.net/coupe.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts