Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a 68 fastback, has 1 rusted quater, a hole under the back window, and a hole in the floorboard behind rear seat.
just wondering what kind of money im looking at if i took it to a body shop to do?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Are the cowl vents o.k.? With rust in those areas you mentioned there is a strong possibility of rust around the cowl vents.
As far as repair costs, you probably need to let the man that's gonna fix it give you the estimate. Rust repair can look like a small job until you get into it. Then you realize more areas need attention.
Maybe ask the seller if you could take it by your local body shop for an estimate. That way you would have a starting point at least, then you could decide if the car is right for you.
Good Luck.

·
7,005 Posts
Somewhere between $200 and $20,000.

Without a lot more searching, poking, prodding and paint removal you won't know. Ahh the joys of old cars.

Phil

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Probably closer to $500 - $50,000. Depends how good of a job the shop does and how bad they want to stick it to you. I was quoted $5000 to do the floors and rear quarters on my car, cheaper to buy a welder and do it on your own.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I paid $1200 each for new quarters installed. It's a lot of work to get it right. I can not help you with the other stufff but would think that if you have this rust, you may have more that is still covered.

best of luck to you.

·
Registered
35,847 Posts
Like everyone else says, rust is like an iceberg. What you can see is only a fraction of what may be hiding. Talk with some VMF'ers and Mustang owners in your area who can recommend a good shop. Have them look it over. Get 3 or 4 opinions. Don't select the cheapest one. The majority will be pretty close to each other in price. Select the one that impresses you the most that your car will be right when you get it back! Don't be afraid to ask for references!

By the way, where in NY are you from, it's a big State!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im located in lower NY bout an hour north of nyc

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
How much dis-assembly are you willing to do to the interior? For just the quarter panel (and usually the outside wheelwell) figure 40 hours labor to do the whole quarter right. That's not painted or anything else just replacement. The floorpan is fairly simple if just the rear, just depends what they have to dis-assemble. I can't comment on the hole behind the window without seeing it. In Omaha, I could get the other 2 fixed at a good mustang only shop for about $1200, out there who knows.....
Or as in this Winter I'll learn to do it myself. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts