Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I do have the Smoothie 2s like ordered and the backspacing appears to be ok on the front. So now my next dilemna... what lug nuts can I use with these wheels? It looks like even with a thin wall socket I am going to have much interference and resulting chewed up wheels. Are there some type of special keyed lug nuts out there that I need to use? Maybe with socket caps or something?

thanks

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,403 Posts
Uh, forgive my ignorance, but did Boyd not send any with the wheels? You'd think for the chunk of change you paid out they could at least throw in some lug nuts/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif! On a more serious note, I'd say call/e-mail them to find out what the recommend.....

·
7,079 Posts
They are probably about the same tightness as my TTII's. you are correct to worry about getting a socket on them, as it is pretty much impossible to do without getting up against the wheel. Mine are polished aluminum, so the worst I could do is scuff them. I hate to even think what it would be like if they were chorme.

I just got the Gorilla wheel installation kit from Summit. It's cheap and comes with 20 lug nuts, 4 locking lug nuts, the wrench adapator for the locks and valve stems. But that won't take care of the clearance issue.

The socket cap idea is a good one. But I guess I've never seen anything like that. Looking at the Summit site, they don't seem to have anything like that.

They make sockets with plastic sleeves on the outside of them...but they cost an arm and a let for the set. Let us know what you figure out. I'd be interested too.

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts