Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change rear axle ratio to a 3.50 . What is the preferred brand? 9 inch open, going from 2.75 to 3.50, have found Motive, Yukon, Richmond, Platinium, and US Gear to be brands available. Ford seems to have stopped supplying these parts? Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
i would buy FORD RACING if you can find a nos. my next choice would be US GEAR.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I had a 3.80 8" rear end built. The builder used Summit brand gears (whatever they are), and it howled. He replaced the gears with another Summit set, still howled. He told me it didn't seem possible to set a perfect pattern with those gears no matter what he did. I ponied up an exta $20 for some Motive gears and they worked perfectly - good pattern, no howl. Just sharing my experience.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just installed a set of 3.40's from Motive Gear. I'm happy with their product and Customer service. Speedway Motor's had the best deal.

Marty.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I went with a good used set of Ford gears .

I believe the Yukon gears are made in China by Randys Ring & Pinion

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1 on the Ford racing gear sets...
Also, consider a trac-loc set up while you're back there...
A very useful upgrade IMO...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've set up about 5 sets of Richmond gears in 8.8 rear ends, all were extremely noisy and pattern was highly variable. I've used motive about 20 times in 8.8s and gm late model rear ends. Every single one had a great pattern and absolutely no noise.

I set up 2 ford racing sets in 8.8s and both were perfect

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leaning toward Motive. Has anyone had bad luck with the Motive brand or were there difficulties involved in their installation on a 9 inch?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Motive gears here, in a 3.40 TracLoc.....from what I understand, Motive makes the gears for Ford....that being said I also understand the the sets made for Ford and the sets made for Motive have different setup techniques....

If the part number on a motive set starts wit a "M" it is a motive set, and if it starts with a "F" it is a Ford set.

Some people have found Motive sets that make some noise, these typically have different setup specs for whatever reason....

The set I have starts with a "F" part number.......

Just info from what I have learned....100% accurate??? no idea..
Tom

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Get the Motive Performance gears. Motive laps their ring and pinions on accelerations and deceleration, which from what I recall is what helps Motive keep their R&P whine down. I believe not all manufacturers lap their gears on decel, just only accel. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Get the Motive Performance gears. Motive laps their ring and pinions on accelerations and deceleration, which from what I recall is what helps Motive keep their R&P whine down. I believe not all manufacturers lap their gears on decel, just only accel. I could be wrong though.
I concur with this, I spoke to a fellow in Washington State that specializes in building 9" rears and all he will use is the Motive "performance" line of gears. He told me the exact same thing (that they lap their gear sets both on the acceleration side and the deceleration side).

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Don't run Richmond, whatever you do. They have about a 50%
chance of whining.....
Ford Racing or Ford used. Have zero experience with Motive.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put a Ford 9" in a Camaro, I have been threw 3 ring and pinions becasue of gear noise. Now I have a Motive performance 3.70 in it and it is making noise. Looking for advise on what to do to get this thig quiet.

I have read that the straight line in the bottom of the drive pattern is what causes noise. But, it seems like if I were to bring it out anymore to get rid of the line that the pattern would run off the face of the tooth.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

There are more causes of noise from a gearset than who makes them. I have had quiet and not so quiet sets from many different sources. I have also had many clients bring me noisey rear axles that have had a recent gear install. From my experience, the number one cause of noise is improper installation. There are certain requirements to properly setting a gear set. Deviate from it at your own peril.

First off, unless your axle has very low miles, always purchase a quality installation kit consisting of pinion and differential bearings, pinion nut, pinion bearing spacer, shims, seals, etc.. Do not cheap out here.

Regarding the gearset, if you purchase your set with the only consideration being price, then, you get what you deserve. I have had the best luck with gears from the US, Italy, Taiwan, and India. There are alot of sets coming out of Mainland China, and I haven't seen too many good ones.

You must set up your gearset properly. That means proper pinion depth, pinion to ring gear backlash, proper backlash variation, proper pinion bearing preload, and proper differential bearing preload. Fail to meet ANY of these requirements, and you will probably get noise at the very least.

When it come to diagnosing noise complaints, you must first identify the operating conditions under which the noise occurs. Failure to do this will only result in a wild goose chase. There have been many cases of tire or wheel bearing noise being blamed on the gearset. Does the noise occur under acceleration, deceleration, or float?

96lt464. Your pattern shape above looks very good, albeit a little shallow. You don't mention what your backlash figure is, or how much it varies around the ring gear. How close do you have your pinion depth set compared to the manufacturer's specs? Let me know these figures, and I'll be able to help you with your noise.

Don

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have summitt gears in my mustang and have no issues with them. I have also used Yukon and Motive gears without problems. The guy who installs my gears refuses to install Ford racing gears though as he says they always howl. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings,

There are more causes of noise from a gearset than who makes them. I have had quiet and not so quiet sets from many different sources. I have also had many clients bring me noisey rear axles that have had a recent gear install. From my experience, the number one cause of noise is improper installation. There are certain requirements to properly setting a gear set. Deviate from it at your own peril.

First off, unless your axle has very low miles, always purchase a quality installation kit consisting of pinion and differential bearings, pinion nut, pinion bearing spacer, shims, seals, etc.. Do not cheap out here.

Regarding the gearset, if you purchase your set with the only consideration being price, then, you get what you deserve. I have had the best luck with gears from the US, Italy, Taiwan, and India. There are alot of sets coming out of Mainland China, and I haven't seen too many good ones.

You must set up your gearset properly. That means proper pinion depth, pinion to ring gear backlash, proper backlash variation, proper pinion bearing preload, and proper differential bearing preload. Fail to meet ANY of these requirements, and you will probably get noise at the very least.

When it come to diagnosing noise complaints, you must first identify the operating conditions under which the noise occurs. Failure to do this will only result in a wild goose chase. There have been many cases of tire or wheel bearing noise being blamed on the gearset. Does the noise occur under acceleration, deceleration, or float?

96lt464. Your pattern shape above looks very good, albeit a little shallow. You don't mention what your backlash figure is, or how much it varies around the ring gear. How close do you have your pinion depth set compared to the manufacturer's specs? Let me know these figures, and I'll be able to help you with your noise.

Don

The above pictures are with the gear set at around to .007 to .008 lash without much variation per Motive instructions. Pinion shim is .021. This is all brand new stuff, Motive performance gear, Yukon install kit with Timken bearings, Ford Motorsports trac loc posi unit, new Yukon threw bolt aluminum case, and a new aluminum Daytona pinion suport. Pinion bearing preload is 15 inch pounds, carrier bearing preload is 15 inch pounds. I do not have a pinion depth checker so I am just going by pattern. Brand new Moser axels and wheel bearings as well.

I had 3 sets of eyes on my patern yesterday and we decided to bring the pinion closer to the ring gear. We brought it in from .021 to .019. I didnt get pictures of it but it was obvioiusly deeper in the tooth. I ran the car on jack stands and it is the ring and pinoin making noise. I used a mechanics stethescope to listen to everything under the car and it is coming from the rear end.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts