Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64.5 289 that needs a rebuild. I want to drive my car while I build my new motor since I will build it over the couse of a year. Right now I'm running an 87 lincoln 302. I would like to race my car and drive it on the street as well. I'm not worried about originality so I don't mind getting a larger motor. I don't know if i feel like cutting out the shock towers so I'm trying to figure out what will give me the most power for it's size. Should I go to a 289 and beef it up or should i drop a 351 in there? I want to put headers and fuel injection on as well as a supercharger. What do you think I should do? Build on what i have (289) or go even bigger? thanks

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
a 351 would give you the most bang for the buck..but I am not sure if it will fit in your bay..you might consider a 302 crate motor..these things can haul ..just ask Cloney on this forum..his is a bad mother

G

·
0 Posts
My son and I are installing a 351W in his '66 now. Should be done in a week. I'll let you know how it works out. There are a bunch of guys out there who have done this swap and they seem to like the outcome...

JB

·
Registered
391 Posts
My choice would be a conservative stroker (not 347 CI), aluminum heads, roller cam & rockers, shorty headers, and Paxton blower.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
you can make the 289/302 put out as much power as you want at almost any rpm. It also makes connecting up accessories and external mods easier since you're not fighting as much as a space problem.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Windsors are great engines and can be made to look right at home in an early Mustang. However, looking like a natural fit and "dropping right in" are 2 different things in this case. Consider the following requirements for using a 351 w that has had even modest power modifications:
1) Bigger radiator. The 2 -row that came in your car was barely adequate for a 289.
2) Heavier differential. If you are running a modified W - particularly with a manual transmission, a 4-spider 9 inch is a must.
3) If it is an automatic, you might get away with putting a kit in the C4 and sticking with a beefed up 8 inch. Even that will cost you 5-6 hundred. Count on an H-D clutch if it is a manual, too.
4) Custom driveshaft to match the 9 inch.
5) Special headers and custom exhaust.
6) Later-style motor mounts.
7) A low profile intake/air cleaner combination. The W's air cleaner will hit your stock hood, otherwise.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going with a W, but you should understand that it typically is more than a "drop in" conversion. There are many, many details that require work and $$ investment.

Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't like the high rod angles for durability, long rod engines seem to make better torque, and why push a street engine to all limits. All you want is a lot of power, not problems.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Makes no difference to me, we all have our preferences... I just believe the 347 has gotten a bad rap on this forum because someone got a rotten apple.

I've talked to guys that drive and race them, and have yet to find someone that actually has "seat time" behind a 347 that doesn't like the engine. Here.

BTW, A 347 uses a longer rod than a 289 or a 302.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts