Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 FB I am restoring ala bullit highland green-black deluxe interior. Car is an original C code auto which I have the drivetrain. Have an oppurtunity to get a 68 Mustang 390 GT motor/C6 combo.
Anyone have any pros or cons to going 390??? My father has a 390 in his 69 eliminator and had problems with it running hot.....He also just had the motor redone it cost $5K to do and dynoed out at 375horse so i know the cost factor for the BB is more....any advice appreciated
thanks
russ

·
Registered
637 Posts
It kind of depends on what you want to do with the car. If you will drive it a lot, or race it will have a big impact. Personally, I don't see how you can go wrong with a hot 5.0 roller motor; carbed or efi. Good performance and gas milage as well as driveability if done right. It's also simple to bolt an OD trans to a 302/5.0.
If you plan on just cruising around town, the 390/C-6 combo would be nice.

·
Registered
680 Posts
First off, I don't understand why your fathers motor cost so much....It was factory rated at 335 h.p. so it wasn't built that strong...
Cost of a rebuild isn't that much more for a big block than a small block, unless you buy go fast parts. Stock parts are about the same price..
Big blocks are cool...but, depends on what you want to do with the car...
390 is quite a bit heavier than a small block, and lots of changes have to be made...radiator, front springs, rear end, drive shaft, exhaust...and on and on....

G

·
0 Posts
Anyone that thinks a big block is all that expensive, or a Chevy is cheaper than a Ford, is living in the '60's. Even with me having a wealth of experience with 385 series engines, I'm leaning towards small blocks. Something about the toy I'm building now... Can you say 800 streetable HP in a '66 coupe?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The selection for performance parts for a small block are greater and cheaper than building a big block. It would also depend on the cost of the 390. For that kind (5,000) of money I would build a nice small block. I don't have half that much money in my 302 roller motor with track heat heads and I have that much HP if not a little more HP. I am no expert on HP rating but I have been told by more than one person what I should see fo HP out of my motor. good luck

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Stroked out 351W. HP advanted of a BB w/the light weight of a SB. A co-worker just finished his project Stroker 351W for his '70 Mach 1. Final results, 499hp @ 5500 rpm 535ft/lbs torque @ 3500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first off are you trying to be a smart for ridculing what a motor build up cost? You don't know the specifics of what was done or put on the engine. Also the 69 S code was rated at 320hp, not 335. when a person can't do engine work you have to pay someone and you get what you pay for.
my old man went to this guy because he is the best in this area on ford motors. He also could have been cheap and bought a Recon 390 for $1800.
I really don't appreciate your attitude in telling me if he spent to much a not. what i was concerned with if i should put one in my car. if there is a problem private mail me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts