Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want to start to save money up to add more HP to engine. What do I do next?

289 with Edelebrock performer intake,Edelbrock 600cfm carb, hooker headers,magflow x pipe 2.5 exhaust. Piston and Cam unknowen as they were new when I bought the car. pistins do have valve relife for clearence. this is connected to a T5 rate for 310 HP 8 " rear end 3.55 gears. Stock cylinder heads

So what do I buy next?

·
Registered
50 Posts
First figure out what cam is in the car, and then new cylinder heads.

Just curious, how do you know the HP rating? My 289 is bored .040 over with an Edelbrock intake, Holley Street Avenger carb, Edelbrock performer heads, 1.6 roller rockers, a 204°/214° duration, .448"/.472" lift cam, Mac LT headers, H-pipe and 2.5" exhaust. I'm also running a T-5 with 3.55 gears and when we tuned it on a Land-Sea dyno we got 230 rwhp and 250 ft-lbs torque (which equates to about 305 crank hp and 333 crank tq.)

http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/3317/66_Dyno_Run.jpg

·
7,051 Posts
I think the poster means his T5 is rated at 310HP. He's not saying he's getting that out of his engine.

You could go 2 ways here. You could plan on heads and a new cam or a stroker kit.

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
All depends on the budget and how much HP you want to add. The first thing that will have to go, to start to build much more power will be the heads and the cam. Then you'll need an intake to take advantage of them. You could probably just leave the bottom end to save money. Your exhaust system is already there to handle it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Heads is the next best bang for your buck. A nice set of AFR's or TFS Aluminum heads would be the ticket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll likely lose a point of compression with new heads - yours have 53.5cc chambers and most aftermarket aluminum heads are ~60cc. On the flip side you'll have bigger ports and valves. Valve reliefs or not, I'd still make sure the piston to valve clearance is correct if you do go the head route.

It's tough to really build up an engine piecemeal, you need to sit down and figure out where you want to be and build up the whole thing towards that goal.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Upgrade rod bolts. And from my reading and experience, an oversquare engine like the SBF likes r.p.m. So think big on the cam, valves etc. But as always, more h.p. more radical, less livable on the street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts