Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1968 hardtop that we are going to mod and customize. We'd like to put some kind of modern front seats in (with head rests). We have heard that there are some seats from other models, years, maybe even brands that are a direct or near direct swap into a '68. Can anyone share knowledge and ideas about that with us?
Thanks!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

· Dimples
7,864 Posts
I’ve spent a lot of research time on this topic. I personally went with 05 Acura RSX seats. I love them, but they are far from a direct fit, and are currently hard mounted to the floor without tracks because the seat risers need to be lowered to accommodate brackets.

the height of the seat base is the biggest factor and depending on your seat selection and body type, you may have to consider a smaller steering wheel.

Pretty much any year Mustang seat can be made to fit. The newer seats may need some modification. Of the Mustang options, I prefer the 2001 Bullitt leather seats, and while originals can be pricey, any SN95 seat (including base V6) can be refoamed and recovered for a pretty reasonable price. Also, they’re available in non-stock colors like white.

For other brands, you’re best off looking at 2 door sporty cars, both for their general size and fold-forward feature. Fiero seats have been a favorite for years because they’re slim and a direct fit. I personally have been eyeing Audi TT seats for my 64.5 coupe. They made them for a long time and are available in quite a large variety of styles.

Here are the Acura seats in my 66:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

· Registered
1,468 Posts
If you’re ok with purchasing aftermarket seats, the procar seats by scat are pretty nice. I wish they could sit a smidge lower, but overall they are comfortable and hold me in well during spirited driving.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

· Registered
1,234 Posts
The procar seats are nice, but like sitting on concrete. Look at real companies like Recaro, Cerullo, or Corbeau. By the time you buy the used seat, recover, and mount, you're pretty much at the same cost. I've got Cerullo, and they are comfortable and fit great in the 66.

· Dimples
7,864 Posts
The procar seats are nice, but like sitting on concrete. Look at real companies like Recaro, Cerullo, or Corbeau. By the time you buy the used seat, recover, and mount, you're pretty much at the same cost. I've got Cerullo, and they are comfortable and fit great in the 66.
I don’t know, I have $500 in my seats. Not bad for leather. I don’t think you can get a single seat of one of those aftermarket brands in that price range.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Maybe you sat in their concrete covered seats?

Dunno . I have sat in recaro and corbeau seats, didn’t note that they were anymore comfortable. I’ve never sat in a Cerullo seat, so no experience there. Looked them em, and some look pretty nice.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

· Registered
4,388 Posts
I have 93 Fox LX seats and they are about as comfortable as it gets. Perfect for a driver/cruiser. They aren't bolstered all that much for racing but thats not really what this car does. SN94 seats would be similar.

I saw some nice looking Fiero seats recently on here, believe that was Woodchuck's.

There is an 80s or 90s BMW seat that works well in these cars, but I forgot which one specifically.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

· Registered
807 Posts
I tried multiple seats before settling on Corbeau A4 "Wide" with a 1" shave on the bottom cushion. I am tall so I prioritized headroom/legroom above almost all else. :) The Corbeau brackets and sliders mount the seat so low you'll pinch your finger on the slide mechanism if you're not careful...their mounting system is super compact and a direct fit, zero mod bolt-in. The Procar/Scat seats, for me, were WAY too high for mounting. You could fit a phone book between the seat base and carpet and the bottom cushion is fat/thick. That just wasn't going to work for me without modifications to lower. The Sparco seats were really pretty, but if you have more than a 30" waist you are not squeezing into them, at least not the R100s.

Anyway, I got a "good deal" on a black Friday type sale from Corbeau on the seats, but what you see is still a $1K investment with the brackets and sliders. For me, it was money well spent. I am going to Autox the car and I wanted the security of a high back seat. I am also a fan of their retractable harnesses. You get can move around in them vs a race harness, and again I like their safety factor vs lapbelts only. Good luck!

Brown Chair Bag Luggage and bags Comfort

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas Composite material

Motor vehicle Automotive design Plant Personal luxury car Font

· Registered
3,009 Posts
Unfortunately, there are no kits to install headrests in 68 seats. It was a unique year. You can install 64.5-66 or 69 headrest kits, but you'd have to do some welding of the seatback internal frame.
All 64.5-70 are interchangeable and bolt in, plus other years (careful, later model seats can be too wide or too high off the floor). I have a pair of 69 low back seats (w/ headrests - required starting that year) in my garage waiting to be reupholstered to replace my 68's, but my current seats are in great shape so I'm not in any kind of hurry. I plan to install new foam with a bit of bolster, but I don't like the over bolstered seats generally available (individual taste, and not racing).

· Registered
2,989 Posts
I used 97 model vert seats in my 67 vert. Put my tracks on them after redrilling 1 hole on each seat . Recovered them with Tmi Sport seat covers & foam .

I wanted something with a head rest & holder for my 3 point seat belts that would hold me in place . In my vert the inner rockers made me have to shim the tracks up a
Vehicle Car Hood Window Motor vehicle

bout 1/2" so the plastic sides on the lower seats did not hang in the carpet .

A couple of things my car has that might be a problem with all stock are . My wheel is a non oem 14 " wheel mounted on a I didit 7 position tilt column.
That being said I never move my wheel from my driveing position to get into or out of my car . Also my column is pulled up into the car as far as possible so I could mount the eps unit in the eng compartment . To me getting into & out of a vert when the top is up takes some practice any way ..

· Registered
45 Posts
"The procar seats are nice, but like sitting on concrete"

Huh?? I have the same Procar seats that Blueovalfan68 has, and I absolutely love them. They look right at home in a classic Mustang and are very comfortable. I would highly recommend these.

· Registered
167 Posts
I put 2012 Mustang seats into my 66 Coupe.

My thread: Classic Mustang Seat Mod: 2012 GT Seats into 1966...

I have an insane amount of clearance (both head and legs from steering wheel) - only issue is I need to bump up the driver seat on a 1/4" shim on all 4 bolts, it wont slide forwards and backwards very easily. Passenger seat works great.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

· Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,541 Posts
I put in Audi TT seats in my 67.
I just did a double take on that last picture. I don't have as good a picture handy but this older one might give you an idea. My seats are from a 1980's Mitsubishi and except for the centers having less padding almost identical. Even the same wear on the upper left side bolster. Same car too! :)

· Registered
5,022 Posts
We have a 1968 hardtop that we are going to mod and customize. We'd like to put some kind of modern front seats in (with head rests). We have heard that there are some seats from other models, years, maybe even brands that are a direct or near direct swap into a '68. Can anyone share knowledge and ideas about that with us?
Thanks!
View attachment 863829
Well...the question is whether you want your seats to look stock with stock-looking upholstery pleating. As en example...for my '66 I went with 1973 Ford Capri seats:

I re-upholstered these in black leather...I wasn't a fan of the headrests so I removed them...but they do exist. What is more interesting for a '68 is that 1969-1972 Capri seats come with upholstery that matches that year:

The recline and tilt forward locking lever are also nice features. The downside is that to make it fit correctly in a classic mustang there is some cutting and welding of the seat frame needed(I took about 1.5" out of the height of mine...I suppose they might fit without that, but I didn't even try since I wanted to maximize headroom and legroom). Anyway, out of all the seat swaps I have seen, the Capri seats have the closest matching upholstery(depending on interior color) to the stock Mustang seats while retaining the same basic style and adding bolstering(less for the 69-72 than the 73-74 but still more than stock Mustang)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts