Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am A novice and am reinstalling the redone stock heads on my 67 289. Can anyone recommend the head gasket? Do I need to buy new head bolts? For a stock set up do I need ARP bolts? Any other necessary parts?
Thanks,

jon

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
Buy a "head set". That will give you head gaskets, intake gaskets, thermostat gasket, valve seals (which you won't need since the heads have already been "redone"), valve cover gaskets, distributor gasket, etc.

The set is FEL-PRO HS8548 PT-11. You can buy it just about anywhere... rockauto.com, Advance Auto, AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc. Advance has a 20% off coupon good for the next hour... LD2020 is the code. You don't need new head bolts or special bolts. You'll want some gasket sealant for those areas requiring it. I abhor RTV silicone and only use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket and use the cork seals, just like the factory did. You'll also need, of course, oil & filter, coolant, a cleaning solvent, like Brakleen and some clean, lint-free rags or towels.

I also use some 4 inch long bolts with the heads cut off and rounded at the outer corners of the heads to help "locate" the intake gaskets and guide the intake manifold down onto the heads. Might as well install a new thermostat, too. Much easier to do before reinstalling the intake. Also make sure your block-to-head dowel pins are in place. Hint #2... They're cheap at Wal-Mart and other places and if you have some scrap laying around for under $10 in materials you can make yourself some "cylinder head handles" to bolt to the head to help "muscle" them in place...with a helper. Some sturdy 1/4" thick "strapping" to bolt the handles to, then bend one end at a 45* angle, drill some holes and bolt one end to an intake manifold hole and the other to a rocker stud.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts