Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be an interesting post for every one. For example, cast pistons on a supergharged engine or huge cam, T5's or 8" axle, ect. Get the idea? This should prove to be intersting. For me, was my 7.5" rear axle held up just fine in my old '85, 5.0 LX drag racing with a T5!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Have recently been abusing an 8" trac-loc, but now the tranny is dead (again), not from abuse, but from poor workmanship/parts.

When I get it all working again and finish the dyno tune, It'll be time to slap on the DOT slicks and really abuse that sucker!

·
Registered
434 Posts
About 15 years ago I put new tires on the car. Shortly after that the passanger side rear got a big ol' nail (more like a spike) lodged in it.
It was cool to spin the tires and have sparks fly off the tire :eek:

15 years later the nail is still there, although most of the tread is gone, and it holds air better than the other three. I just got some Vintage 45s, so the old tires and rims will soon be... retired ;)

I also have a fairly stock bottom end (rods have been shot-peened and ARP bolts installed, crank reground and chamfered) Everything has been balanced. Used too (still do somtimes) power shift at 6800 with the engine bouncing off the rev limiter at 7000. Seems to be doing OK :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have one part that I try to abuse beyond it's limits every chance I get. ::

·
Registered
446 Posts
lets see, somehow my driveshaft decided it wanted to be free from the differencial at the exact time I was flooring it getting onto the freeway. So a nice stick of metal spinning under my car broke a brake line, the e-brake broke, and it dented my new mufflers. That was one hell of a ride.

Also, my tranny is now slipping (C4) so I think I may have pushed that a little far.

If your not breakin parts, your not driving right.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The SROD 4spd and 7.5 with 3.73's in my 83 GT. Almost 300 hp and never had a problem with Ford's 'weakest' drivetrain. I burnt through 4 brand new BFG's in 7 months with that car.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Stock '66 V8 driveshaft. Snapped it down the middle a few months ago and somehow didn't even break a u-joint! Hole in the floor pan, broken e-brake cable, and dented mufflers was a rough way to learn [Don't use a stock driveshaft behind a built engine and transmission!].
-Brian

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
MOTOR MOUNTS....i would break the stock style mounts probably every 5 months or so until i put in a custom tie down for the engine , and when i say break theyd be shattered into pieces haha. i also went through 3 sets or rear tires in about a year after i got the engine built up with some power. the car has great low end, the tires want to spin at about half throttle heh not my fault !..id also say my C4, i broke it in about a year or so and had to have it rebuilt.. too many real hard down gears and high rpm shifts for it. i also blew my spider gears out completly on both sides. i somehow also managed to snap a spindle., both the tranny guy and the rear end guy said " ive never really seen parts destroyed this badly before or in such bad shape"...i was like HELL YEAH .. but that was when i was 18 and didnt have the car that long ...now im 21, and can no longer to afford to break things all the time, i cant laugh it off any more *G*

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Stock lower end of a 289 5.63:1 rear gears and 7200-7600rpm thru the traps in my friends drag car . Lasted a year and a half runnung low-mid 12's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts