Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a '71 Mach? '68 GT? It's a "projected" 4-5 year restore project. What are cars most "rarest"? Definitely not a coupe or convertible, but fastback versions. Mach? GT? Sprint? What year ('65 - '73 only please). Thanx for the info. Guy(NH)

·
Registered
532 Posts
get them all! You can never have to meny projects. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Everyone has different preferences so you've got to go with what years and models speak to you...

Personally, I think the earlier models are grittier and more gutteral (that's a good thing *G*)...I think Bob had the right idea going for the Shelby FB...that or a GT FB of that vintage would be my personal favorite, but I guess that's no surprise..*G*

How about a 64.5 K 'vert? Personally, I wouldn't mind a U 'vert of that vintage...economical and different...

Best of luck, whatever you choose!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The 67 and 68 Fastbacks are by far the most sought after cars in the current climates & currently are returning high prices.

Who knows if this will remain true in 5 years.......maybe Gone in 60 Seconds 2 with feature a Mach /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
612 Posts
My personal favorite, other than Shelbys, have always been 69 mach 1's and boss's. However, since buying my long term project, I have found that parts for the 69/70 are much more expensive than earlier models. Oh, and much more difficult to find. I have not found 1 junkyard here in WI with any parts to help, most of the repo parts suck, and most of the people selling parts, even here, are bandits. Cant blame them, its what the market will bear, but its expensive.. If your willing, either a 69 big block mach or boss would be great.....IMHO

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
1971 429 SCJ-R Mach 1 or maybe and "R" code (think that is the engine code for the 428) 1968 Fastback. Not to many of either of these around.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I like all the fastbacks. When you are finished with your project (never) it would boil down to which year looks the best to you. The restoration process however favors the early cars. A 69 dashpad will cost 5 times more than a 65. plus you will have to paint it, It won't fit,ect ect. I think in 25 more years the 65 66 cars will be the "deuce coupes" all the others will still be sought after but not as special.
jimbo

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Guy, there's no way to tell how many of the millions of classic Mustangs still exist but I've heard guesses of about 30% still exist. Rarity depends on model and year as you know, with the rarest being the ones initially production limited or most costly. At the top of the list are Shelby's, Boss, SuperCobraJet, S-code 390's and 428's, etc. Of '65/'66 models, the convertible is the most sought with fastback next. Coupe is the most restored because of sheer numbers. Coupes represent about 80% of the production with convertibles and fastbacks filling about 10% each. This means today you'll find or see 10 coupes before you see a convertible or fastback. '65/'66 are most popular restoration candidates since there are the most reproduction parts available for them. There is some snoot value in having a rare car but any well kept, well restored or well restomodded classic becomes an eye turner. All in all, these cars are pretty rare to find and see on todays highways.

G

·
IMO - the '65 - '67 coupes are definaly popular around my place. Within two blocks of my house in Diamond Bar, CA (about 20 mi east of Los Angeles) there are five coupes. I also see one green fastback which think is a '67 or '68 and one fire orange mach-1 with a killer scoop on the hood. Three of my co-workers own classic 'stangs - '71 Mach-1 with a Boss 428, '67 fastback, and '67 convertable.

There you go...

KP

·
Administrator
19,515 Posts
Have to admit, I'm partial to 1968 fastbacks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

http://tucsonpony.com/thood8.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
[No message]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts