Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i appologize for my ignorance but this is my first automatic transmission experience.
i have deceided to go ahead and rebuild the early model C4 out of my 68 coupe.

someone had previously directed me to this rebuild kit
http://www.broaderperformance.com/index.html

i started searching around comparing prices mainly, since i dont really know what im looking at, but summit seems to carry B&M and TCI rebuild kits.

i plan on putting a 350 horse 302 crate motor in the car. it will be a street use car only with usual horseplay.

any kits better then others??? what to look for? what to avoid?

TIA, again im sorry if this is repetative, but i want to make sure before having to do something twice

·
Registered
246 Posts
The soft parts or seals and stuff are probably close to the same. The main difference are the frictions and steels. Jay @ Broader gives you a bigger direct clutch and adding more clutches to a certain extent will allow you to handle more power w/o burning it up. The kit I got from him I think had Raybestos clutches. You also can't beat the free support. I had to call him about a couple of questions and he always had the answer. Since this is your first rebuild I think he is a great option. Maybe if you had a few under your belt, the other ones might save you a few bucks. I called him and asked similar questions a week before I bought. Call him and ask. JMO

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, i did email him and he made that 500 hp kit recommendation, and he did seem very nice and knowledgable just wanted to get some more opinions
thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Any of the three kits you mention should work fine for street use. In addition to the standard rebuild kit, I would recommend a sprag rebuild and a new reverse servo piston. These are typically not included in a rebuild kit...

The C4 is easy to rebuild; but you must be clean and organized. The Haynes manual is helpful too.

Good luck,
Rory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts