Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a beat up 65 that needs new rims and tires. The rims right now are some nasty looking aftermarket mags. It’s a 5 bolt. I’m hoping to do this as cheaply as possible. I’m wondering if there are any newer cars out there that would have rims with the right bolt pattern and backspacing. If so maybe I can find a set that someone is selling for a decent price.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pretty much any Mustang wheel (not sure about the most recent gen) will fit, with spacers. The bolt pattern is an extremely common 5 x 4.5" or 5 x 114.3mm.

Reactions: rpm

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,676 Posts
I like your forum handle, it's still pretty white here on the atlantic coast too. A lot of ice in the harbour since the 1st of march. I'm in northern NS. Btw, I really cheaped out with rims, mine are off a late 80's Crown Vic. I bought them just so I could get my car off the rotisserie but they have grown on me. I am seriously considering just leaving them on after I paint my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Winter here in Alberta needs to end - NOW. Spring will make this whole Covid thing much easier.

Good to know that rims from a crown Vic worked for you. Did you just get lucky or did you know that these were an option?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could try to piece together a kit similar to this one for less...

Then, you could use any set of wheels from a 94 - 04 mustang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but even on sale by the time I pay the exchange they won’t be cheap.

Besides rIms from a late 80s Crown Vic, are there any I can use without spacers?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Newer- no, probably not as they're all front wheel drive with high offset. Most passenger Fords from the 70's through the 80's all had the same 5 on 4 1/2" spacing. Some of the later 90's still did as well, but then you're looking at spacers again. I think Ford Ranger alum wheels will fit- 2nd66 maybe has a set on his car (red coupe with the black vinyl top) IIRC. You may just search Craigslist or fleabay for used 'unilug' wheels-... as long as the offset is close, they'll likely bolt on. I recently bought a set of 4 Mustang rally wheels with new BFG tires off a low mileage '72 'vert for $225. It was a 4 hour round trip, but worth it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
I found a set of rims and hubcaps for sale from someone who is upgrading a 68.

These should fit mine, won’t they? I don’t mind the look. Not as nice as mags but the price seems decent.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Nice score on the wheels and tires. Just fyi, you'll find many sets of spacers on eBay for much less than $400. Just gotta search longer.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Welcome . 1st order lets get the names right

2nd ,Wheels from many newer cars/trucks will fit
For example
Mustangs
Crown Vics
Rangers
Explorers
Jeeps
Some Dodge cars and Trucks the list just goes on
her are some of my examples .
04 Mach

05 Bullitt

90ish Explore

07Ranger SX4 U spokes

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Ford Ranger had 14" and 15" wheels that fit with no adapters/spacers and Ford Explorer 15" wheels up until 2002.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have never seen those FX4 wheels. How rare are they?

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,676 Posts
Thanks. Winter here in Alberta needs to end - NOW. Spring will make this whole Covid thing much easier.

Good to know that rims from a crown Vic worked for you. Did you just get lucky or did you know that these were an option?
Folks on this forum told me 15" Crown Vic and Grand Marquis wheels fit our cars. Mine are mounted on 15" Pirelli P4's.

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
Those look neat Caper50!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Black spider caps would look good on those Crown Vic wheels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts