Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my posi should be arriving in about 7 days so Im going to be taking out the old seals and putting the new ones in while im waiting.

What sealant do I need to put inside the housing for the seals and is it the same stuff to go on the main center gasket?

Thanks!

:yoho:

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
For the main gasket (I have an 8.8, so not sure what applies to you) I juse use permatex copper instead. Works for me..?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't use sealant: a new gasket and copper washers work well. For the axle seals, just clean where the seal sits and be very careful driving the new ones in and it should be fine..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We just did an 8.8 in the Yellow Fox below this last weekend....We used Hylomar on the cover....

I've got a new trac loc that I'm putting in the '69 (hopefully this weekend) and will use a thin film of Hylomar on the main gasket....I do not want to be pulling the chunk out in 2mos due to a pesky leak (they always happen)....

Seems that some of the products have a difficult time sealing (I hate RTV blue with a passion) I've been thinking that something like Tri-Bond or Yamabond sealer for (2) stroke crankcases might be the ticket...these are non-hardening sealers that work great and clean up well when you need to take apart....hmmmmm...
Tom

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Use contact cement on the pumpkin and copper coat or Hylomar on the housing. Then if you have to pull it again the gasket comes off with the pumpkin.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where can I get contact cement and hylomar from? parts houses like autozone oriellys etc?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way I will be using a new pumpkin gasket, new nuts and new copper washers

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts