Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I recently ripped out my console as I was rewiring the car, and I sort of like the sparce feeling. I also have an SN95 handbrake on the tunnel, and a T5 with a shifter that protrudes slightly through the tunnel.

Tried to install the rubber shift boot (I like the look of it) but it and the trim bezel don't go over the shifter!

What are you guys doing for the boot and bezel? I would have to have something that matches the handbrake. Originally I had machined two aluminum ones for the handbrake and shifter, but they don't clear it either! hah (I had machined them for when I had a console in, which was higher than the shifter).

I assume leather is in my future (I like the pleated rubber one unfortunately) but what about trim plates?

Thanks guys!

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
Not the best picture, but I've got a stock console that I customized to fit the hand brake from a fox body, and a Crown Royal bag for a shifter boot.

Edit: I grabbed the e brake boot from some import at the junkyard. Wish I could remember which car it was.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Blake,

Well I'm in this predicament because I pulled the console out (With the console in, no problems, everything fits below the top of the console).

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
Hey Blake,

Well I'm in this predicament because I pulled the console out (With the console in, no problems, everything fits below the top of the console).
Well, you can always modify your stock console in a similar way.

Here's my build thread:

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. What kind of aftermarket shifter is it fitting over? (Not that I can remember what I have without digging through emails. A knockoff Pro 5.0 or something like that maybe)

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
Thanks guys. What kind of aftermarket shifter is it fitting over? (Not that I can remember what I have without digging through emails. A knockoff Pro 5.0 or something like that maybe)
I have a Pro 5.0 also, but that's really a non-factor. I think your shifter handle is the main thing. It sounds like you have a late model length shifter handle on it? If so, I don't know if you've driven it, but I would expect it to be way too short. I have a longer Hurst shifter handle, and I wish it was longer still. 1st, 3rd and 5th are a little too far away. At least with my reach and seating position (6'3" with pretty long arms, seat moved back on custom brackets).

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, just the trim bezel and rubber don't fit over the Pro 5.0 shifter (or whatever I have). It's wider than the rubber. I don'twant a console anymore.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Generic shifter boot on mine.

I do wish the shifter itself was farther back.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm using a leather boot that I got from NPD (Link to product page) with a Steeda shifter and a Hurst style handle.

-Shannon

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is the one I used over a pro 5.0

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! If you get a second, could i bother you with internal dimensions of that trim ring?? Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts