Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe with a 289 with the following modifications. holley 600 cfm carb, holley street dominator intake, petronix ignition, accel super stock coil, Tro-y Headers, 2 1/4" flowmasters and dual exhaust. and i have a rebuilt (stock) C4 and 2.79 gears. I want to know what will make the biggest improvement in the quarter mile without killing the drivability (daily driver). torque converter? Rear end swap? Cam and Lifters? Roller Rockers? i do plan on running nirous but i was going to save that for the last mod. Any ideas? TIA

1968 Mustang Coupe - Daily driver
289, holley 600 carb, holley street dominator intake, petronix ignition, Accel Super Stock Coil, Tri-Y Headers, 2 1/4" 2 chamber Flowmasters, C4 and 2.79 rearend

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 68' pretty close to yours with the exception of a Comp Cam that operates @ 2200rpm. What I did this winter was change the 2:79's to 3:25's. I wanted better low end and I think this will help, I'm a little afraid of the gas mileage when spring finally gets here in the north east and we can get back on the road.

Rich
68' LIme Gold Coupe

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I agree, get the gears changed.

John
Can you smellllllllalalalala........?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589508&a=12100931&p=43885808.jpg
66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore
70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
We have basically the same engine but I have a hi-performance cam. I added 3.25 gears this past summer. Go with a hotter cam & add the 3.25's. You'll love the power. As for the NOS, be careful. Depending on the horsepower shot you want 50, 100, 200 hp is a lot! Your engine better be in good condition in the lower end. Or you'll have pistons going places they weren't suppose to go. Put a 50hp NOS on my son's Honda. It was like adding another passing gear. Nice power increase.

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts