Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my suspension (front) and everything has a nice rust color to it (no serious issues I have seen yet). I don't think anything has ever been replaced not even the bushings. What can I just tear apart, clean up, paint and put back on and what normally wears and needs replacing? This is regarding upper, lower, control arms, ball joints, etc. Alot of these parts just seem like they connect one thing to another and unless bent or damaged my be able to re-use. Car feels pretty sloppy on the road and pulls to the left when braking.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
My advice is to disassemble everything.

Inspect and replace the rubber bushings. Replace control arms if cracked or thin metal in places. Replace tie rods and ball joints if they have play in them. Replace idler arm bushing. Inspect spring perches for crackes and replace bushings.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The other option you might want to consider if you are needing to replace everything anyway is get a kit from Mustangs Plus or American Pony or get what pieces you need from Ponderosa Mustang (VMFer). They can provide complete suspension kits. However, if you are looking to do an original setup, them pulling, blasting, painting and replacing bushings will be the correct way to go. More work, but keeps the car original. YOu may end up having to replace some parts anyway if they are worn out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I recomend the kit... I rebuilt my UCA's, and it is just not ecnomical. plus, i still have 40 year old uca's that are fatuged, etc... if you are gona take the suspention apart to rebuild one thing, you might as well take it all apart and do it all. it is probably pretty well wore anyways.

just my $.02
- Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am really trying to do is just get it handling decent again. Funds are low right now so a complete kit is out. I would like to just replace the pieces that have a wear factor and sand and powder coat the rest (because I can do that for free). So I was wondering which pieces are known for wearing out and causing problems and which ones I can get away with re-using.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A Short list:

Idler Arm Bushing, upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, strut rod bushings, upper control arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, spring perch bushings

Tie rod sleeves can (almost) always be reused.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on buying a complete bushing kit from energy suspension. So bushings and ball joints, then I can re-use most other parts (given that they are not obviously damaged)? The springs and shocks will also fall into suspension parts I plan on buying. Eventually I will replace everything but for now (since so much is needed of my semi-daily driver) I just need to get it handling safely and securely.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Be sure to check all the brakes, steering linkages and ball joints for slop and excessive wear.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
recommend the whole works. i put Canadian Mustang (all North American parts manu.) "Big Kit" in mine for about $900 ($165 shipping) and never regretted it. buy from one vendor if you do it for compatiblity. Mustangs Plus also sells good parts at about same price. if you want bettter stuff its available but unless you are racing it is not really needed and is expensive. by the way, Canadian Mustang kit has milodyne bushings which are supposedly squeak proof but one VMFer with a '70 or'71 had strut rod bushings tear up on him - have not seen any other reports of this nature and many on Forum have installed kit. i only have few miles on mine so can not confirm on way or other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts