Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew asking for a buddy of mine. Do you know what web sites. Or specialty mustang dismantlers.
Thanks. Guido Rocks

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Apparently only the left fender is available.
I see the link you provided states that this is limited to stock on hand. Is this from that company that Rick told us about last year that was getting out of the body part stamping business and all the dies were going to be dismantled and destroyed?

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts
Artiflex is/was the stamping plant that was producing all of the Original Ford Tooling products.

In the summer of 2018, Artiflex announced that they would be "ceasing all production".

For months after that, negotiations ensued between ourselves (NPD) and Artiflex to buy-out everything that they had remaining on their warehouse floor, all remaining Ford Tooling products.

Finally, after months of waiting, an exec with Artiflex finally agreed to our offer, and it all came to us. Three semi trailers full.

So, from this day forward, NPD has the market pretty much cornered on Original Ford Tooling metal. And when it's gone, it looks as though it'll be gone forever, because Ford has not been able to find any willing-takers to take over the burden of the tooling (it's huge heavy stuff, just moving it from one facility to another is like moving a mountain, not to mention all of the fixtures and other related components).

There are not too many stampers in the U.S. that have a stamping-line that is LARGE enough to handle this tooling.. Those that do, are flush in new O.E. production work for the Big-3 and BMW and Toyota and etc.etc., and they all look upon this old classic stuff, and it's relatively low production volumes, as "an unnecessary burden and distraction" to their businesses. That's the basic conclusion that Artiflex made. They make more money setting-up and running 10,000 or 20,000 panels at a time, then they do setting-up and running 200 or 500 panels at a time.

It is what it is, last time we had this discussion, there were a ton of posters expressing frustration and armchair-quarterbacking "why not this, or that, or why can't something be done?".. And the answer is, we've exhausted all options. Trust me. Sheet metal stampers in the U.S. that are small enough to take on niche/classic work like this, do not have the presses/machinery/facilities to run tooling this huge and with such large press requirements.

OH, and last thing... On those LH 65-66 fenders?? We only have FOUR remaining... FOUR... They are a whisper away from extinction. So if you foresee needing one, you'd better leap to the phone right now. Two in FL, one in NC and one in CA.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't know where you are in the greater LA area, but just north of the San Fernando Valley is a Mustang specific dismantler. Mustang MD is the business name and Paul (the owner) is a great guy to work with. He will have OE fenders.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
If you look long enough and act fast when you see one, good used factory Ford fenders show up on craigslist.

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts
one i got back in 2010 was stamped from a die that was shot 30 years ago
Poor-fitting Original Ford Tooling fenders were not due to the tooling being "shot" at all.. It was due to occasional lapses in quality control during assembly, mostly related to the installation of secondary components like braces and headlamp buckets and so-on, and the adherence to the original test-fixtures. There were at least two times I can remember over the past 15 odd years that we were having problems with 65-66 fender fit, and each time they were eventually resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts