Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stroker kit is on its way and I want to get my carb as well, even know I don't really need it just yet. You probably know from previous posts but here is the info: 289 stroked to 347 .040 over, 10:1, edelbrock performer rpm cam, intake and heads(1.90" intake). I don't want to have too much carb, I know I could slap a 750 on top but don't want to unless it is necessary. I was going to go with an edelbrock with electric choke, would you recommend a holley?
TIA

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
750 is way too big.
I have a 770 on my 410 and we just had to jet it down to 69 and 70 (it was 70 and 78 from the factory)

I would say a 600 to 650 should give you good performance

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1406 600, should I just stick with that? I thought I was going to need to go bigger than that but if not, perfect.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Dodgestang is probably correct. Here is a site that gives the formula for carb sizing. That way you can put your own parameters in, such as rpm and voloumetric efficiency, instead of relying on someone elses opinion. You also have to determine if you want the carb sized for a car primarily street driven, or for mostly the track. The smaller carb will be more housebroken, and get better mileage.

Have fun!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A 600 vacuum secondaries (preferably with the adjustment to make the secondaries open a little sooner than stock) would make for GREAT throttle response and very good power.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A common formula used to determine the carb size for a particular engine goes something like this: 1) determine the maximum (realistic) R.P.M. of the engine 2) Multiple by the engine displacement. 3) divide by 3456. This should equal the CFM you need.

Example: 4500 rpm x 302 cid divided by 3456 = 393 CFM

Hope this helps

Tom

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If I went by that cfm / volumetric formula I would have melted the pistons in my motor by now. In fact, I almost did.

The Edelbrock RPM package is good through 6500 rpms so I assume that is your design limit. I would also assume that it will see that at least every once in a while.

For your setup I would run a 700 in a double pumper like a 4778, for example or an equivalent to that in the Demon. If you are only going to pokey it around on the street you could get by with a 750 vacuum carb or a 650 double pumper. The Edelbrock 750 performs about like a 650 double pumper once you get out of the hole. The 650 dp will out hole shot it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts