Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have new exhaust put on my mustang. I want to go with a single in dual out muffler (thrush welded muffler or equivalent). I was thinking of going with 2.5 from the manifold to the muffler and then 2.25 duals out of the muffler. I realize this is big now, but I want to add a few mods like a header, mild cam, and perhaps a 250 head and better induction. What size would be best considering my future mods. 2.5 or 2.25?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes I would do the header swap now if I could, but I am on a tight budget, and right now I just want to make it sound decent and put an exhuast on it that will leave room for future mods. So if you are running dual 2.25 pipes, then I should be fine with a single 2.5 with dual 2.25 outlets. Have you noticed any decrease in low end torque?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If you haven't already visited this forum, check it out:

FORDSIX PERFORMANCE

There will be a bunch of members who have done all of those mods and I'm sure they can help you nail down the right size.

Have you noticed any decrease in low end torque?
I haven't driven my car in several years. Something would break every time I would look at it. I have been concentrating on school and saving my money for the last few years. I really could not give you an accurate description of how the car drove with the header, dual exhaust, 2bbl carb, and electronic ignition.

I know that it was extremely better than the stock points, 1bbl carb, and 40 year old single exhaust, but I couldn't give you any specific details.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The size of the motor just doesn't justify big pipes. If I had to choose between the two options you listed, I'd go with the 2 1/4" pipes, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The engine in my sig line is running a dual in/dual out Flowmaster with 2" pipes. More than enough.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
2.5" is modified V8 territory. When I had my exhaust done, I did not really put any consideration into the exhaust size. I was very new at auto mechanics. I figured that the guy knew what he was doing. Looking at it now, several years later, I would have done it differently (and better).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts